• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m934a2 generator

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, they have a spool of wire under the back that gets played out to a separate gen-set.

jester3798

Thanks for the information. I guess I know what the large hose reel is for now. Thanks again.

So, in theory if I did mount a generator to the vehicle, do you think a 3k unit would power the box. Mine is missing the heating/cooling unit, which im on the fence about having, and im sure I would only need the lighting and 115v outlets operative. All the 400hz and 3 phase stuff is useless....unless the heating/cooling unit is installed.

drtye

Just figured this site out. I am brand new to the steel soldier world so bare with me. I am trying to hook my M934 up to power and was wondering what the best power was, what generator to get, and how to hook it up? Just need power to run the two heaters inside, the plugs and the lights. Any ideas? Judging by this thread I don't need much more than a 6KW to 10KW really. Just don't know what to get or how to hook it up to the panel.

goldneagle

Just figured this site out. I am brand new to the steel soldier world so bare with me. I am trying to hook my M934 up to power and was wondering what the best power was, what generator to get, and how to hook it up? Just need power to run the two heaters inside, the plugs and the lights. Any ideas? Judging by this thread I don't need much more than a 6KW to 10KW really. Just don't know what to get or how to hook it up to the panel.
Did your truck come with the power cord? It's a big heavy cord usually on a metal reel. It plugs into the outlet in the back of the truck outside under the breaker panel.

drtye

Did your truck come with the power cord? It's a big heavy cord usually on a metal reel. It plugs into the outlet in the back of the truck outside under the breaker panel.
Unfortunately no cord came with the truck. I have my eye on one on eBay right now, but didn't know if that cord would work with the smaller gensets like the 6 or 10KW models.

goldneagle

Unfortunately no cord came with the truck. I have my eye on one on eBay right now, but didn't know if that cord would work with the smaller gensets like the 6 or 10KW models.
That one might be mine. I have 1 listed for $399.99. I would take $100 off for Steelsoldiers members. Shipping is gonna be a killer all the way to WA from LA. Maybe need to use the SS transport system. You can use the cord with a smaller gen set if you cut off the unused end and attach using the individual conductors. You can cut the cable a few feet shorter so you could re-splice it if you wanted to. The ends are molded so not reusable if you cut too close t o end.

drtye

Wow! That is very thoughtful, thank you. I'm sure that is the one I was looking at. What do we need to do to make that happen?

smurph

There are two cables. A 60 Amp cable and a 100 Amp cable. The M934s use the 100 Amp cable. Maybe the M109s used the 60 Amp cable. I discovered this after I purchased a cable from someone, had it shipped (at great expense just like goldneagle says) and found that while the cables look almost identical, they are not! The plug ends are just a tad bit smaller on the 60 Amp cables and they will not work

As for the connection to the generator, the M934s came with a short adapter cable in their "kit". It is basically a plug on one end with discrete wires on the other for hooking to the generator lugs. These adapter cables are rare as hens teeth!!!! Because most of them ended up being left on some generator or something and not put back in the truck. In order to "make" one, you will need to buy an extra cable and cut one end off. Or just cut the generator end off of the cable you have and not use an adapter. I just couldn't bare to do that, so I searched high and low until I found the adapter cable.

Steve

Gunzy

I have seen a few guys mount MEP016s in the location of the cable reels. They a 3KW and seem to do the job and have a switch inside to select 3 phase or single phase in multiple voltages.

drtye

I have seen a few guys mount MEP016s in the location of the cable reels. They a 3KW and seem to do the job and have a switch inside to select 3 phase or single phase in multiple voltages.
That's actually a great idea. How do they wire it to the circuit panel? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to match the plug on the back of the truck without buying a $500 100 amp cable just because the plug on that cable was designed for that truck. Any alternate ideas on how to wire the smaller generator to the circuit panel?

drtye

My M934 draws 6KW running all of the lights, the 3 phase AC, and the radios. So 3Kw is plenty for just the lights and some extra.
The following link shows the M934 connected to a MEP-005A via the 100 amp cable that is supposed to be on that reel.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...on-this-week&p=1736073&viewfull=1#post1736073
Did you use the 100 amp cord to wire up to your generator? If I didn't use that cord is there another way to hook the generator up to the panel/circuit breaker?

Gunzy

The couple I have seen took out the connector and hardwired directly to the electrical panel in the van.

Tigerhawk117

So a 7 or 8 kw generator would be plenty to run the A/C, lights, and be able to plug in other small appliances and such? also, can I use the 3 phase A/C unit with a regular generator? I honestly don't understand all of this

Gunny65

7 or 8 KW is more than enough. No, the three phase a/c unit would need three phase output from the generator. Unless the generator you put on the truck has the capability of 3 phase, it's a no go. There may be wiring options available to make it work but straight hookup, no.

smurph

The AC unit is 3 phase, as noted. It also contains a very sophisticated protection circuit inside the unit. It will shut down if it detects if one or more legs of the 3 phase drops out. So running it on a static phase converter is really not an option. A rotary phase converter would do it. However it would need to be around a 10 HP unit. And then the output of most rotary phase converters is Delta configuration. And Delta to Wye isolation transformer would be needed. At least 15KVa in size.

But with a rotary phase converter setup like described, one could run the whole van body with the common 50 amp single phase 220v shore power or similarly sized single phase generator with about a 35 to 40 amp output. The cost of the phase converter and isolation transformer may equal or exceed a surplussed military generator.

For my purposes, a 10Kw military generator is the answer. Something like a MEP-003 or the newer MEP-803A.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks