• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M934A2 (Van) or M923 (Cargo) considering purchase

PatLitToolMan

I'm considering buying a M934A2 (Van) if I can find one. I live way out in the woods (5 acrs) and this would be a great utility vehicle for my property. I already have a tractor, atv etc.. but having a go anywhere vehicle that has secure storage for a complete tool set + chain saw + chains + straps + you get the idea, would be great. I keep all that stuff in my shop now and toss it in my pickup when I go camping or whatever.

I'm torn between the Van 934 and the Cargo 923.

Pros \ Cons?? (comments welcome)
- Seem to be a lot more 923 variants around.
- I have a UTV that I would love to toss in the back and run to the beach (but I don't think it will fit in the Van
- I'm not in love with the idea of keeping lots of tools etc.. in the back of a canvis backed cargo truck (I will take it to town from time to time and don't want to have to ever unload it)
- Plus I would likely build a bench \ storage area in the Van for shooting supplys as I'm an avid reconational shooter. (again leaning away from the Cargo version)
- I cannot seem to find the inside dimensions of the Van anywhere. I know my RZR won't fit through the door but still would be nice to know if the inside height of the Van is taller than the center height of the Cargo version? anyone?
- It will be parked outside always, I live in the Seattle area so it will get rained on constantly. (again worried about the Cargo version)
- I have a long heavy toy hauler (I currently haul the UTV with) it would be nice to use the MV to haul that but I bet I'm going to run into weight issues as its 12k. I've not researched that yet but thats not a deal breaker. I don't think the Van or Cargo version makes a difference for this factor.
- I love the looks of the Cargo version over the Van, the Van looks pretty boxy
- Given the size of the Cargo versions floor space I would likely research or look into building a Jerry Rigged loading dock type thing so i could load stuff in the back with my sub-compact tractor, or load my sub-compact tractor in it but I've not checked out what the floor of the Cargo version can hold. I'm pretty sure it won't fit under the Cargo's top.

Thoughts? help on any of the points above?

Pat

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I can sell you a m923a1 and a m934 expando box unit mounted on a trailer for $11k. I will have to load a picture when i get home. M934s are all slugs with the box on their backs plus they stand 12ft tall.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
From what you have listed, I'd just get an M101a3 trailer and put a contractors topper on it.

I'd get the 923 too, its just not as handy to haul a couple tools in.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The M934 is huge. It has a longer wheelbase and is a lot heavier than a cargo truck.

It is also hard to manuever in the woods and is top heavy. You would not want to get it on much of a side slope.

If you ever get it stuck in a remote area you will have a doozy of a tow bill unless you have a friend with heavy equipment.

A cargo truck offers a lot more options and a Job Box bolted into the bed would provide secure storage for your tools.

The van is a good idea if you need a mobile hooch to live in out in the middle of nowhere but is not practical for much else.

Just MHO for what it's worth.

WYomer

I have a M934 Expando in Wyoming cheap as heck if you go that rought.

I like the Expando on duels better than singles for stability. I've driven it up mountain roads and its fine. Now would I want to do that a lot...no. They are meant to be driven set up and left alone. Plus you can beat a 14' wide pop out and 6'2" ish ceilling you can insulate well and live in.

My M923A2 is the one I drive all over and explore in.

PatLitToolMan

You bring up a factor that I had considered but then ruled out as I figured they would be about the same for stability. I live in Duvall WA which is very hilly and yes it will be seeing some very off camber situations in the woods on my property. I've rolled my sub-compact tractor more than once.

red

The inside of the 934 box is about 6 1/2ft tall but the door is too narrow for your UTV. The truck is more top heavy than the cargo and not as good with off camber, think it's rated for 30 degree instead of 35 degree side slop.

934 box is known to have water leaking issues when expanded.

You could make longer uprights for the 923 cargo cover to bring it up higher. At stock height you have to bend over to keep from hitting your head. A storage box or an s250 shelter setup at the front of the cargo bed would work for secure storage, and leave the rest of the bed open for hauling whatever you need.

Both trucks will pull 12k pounds safely.

PatLitToolMan

Great thoughts. I looked at a 923 Cargo yesterday and was having the same thoughts about extending the uprights to get 6'6 clearance inside. If I do that and bolt a heavy duty tool box to the front of the bed I think that will work great, as the tool box and utv should fit nicely.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm about 30 mins south of you... I'd be happy to run you through the differences of an M934 and M923, in person, since I own an M934.. :D

PM inbound with contact info ....

I actually drove my M934 to Duvall to pick up an M109 box on a trailer....

11537720_10206363373738404_6200308622613643243_n.jpg

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations!
Now get the camera and post up some pics...
Most of all enjoy and have fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatLitToolMan

Given the hilly nature of my property I figured having one that can handle the steep side slopes would be much better. I've rolled my tractor a couple of times on those hills and rolling a 5 ton truck is not on my list of things to do :)

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Given the hilly nature of my property I figured having one that can handle the steep side slopes would be much better. I've rolled my tractor a couple of times on those hills and rolling a 5 ton truck is not on my list of things to do :)
As long as you didn't pay more than 7 grand or so I think it's good.

Not a fan of the A2s personally but, at least they removed the CTIS for you...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks