• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936-a2 what gear to run crane in

netow

Wondering what gear to run crane and rear winch in on a m936, 1-5? or right down in 1st gear, could any transmission damage be done with it right in 1st gear?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have an older 5ton wrecker. Mine says on a dataplate on the dash to run it in 4th or 5th gear. I often use the throttle cable to idle it up. Is there a reason you want to run yours so slow?

netow

This is our second 5ton in about 15 years the first one had a manual transmission which we did run in a higher gear this one seems to upshift while working and seems to run the winch and crane pump faster than what would seem normal and faster than our older 5 ton

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The operators manual and the operating placard in my M936 (A0) states: Place transmission selector in 1-5 and "engine operating speed must be above 1250 RPM or damage may occur".

Monkeyboyarmy

I'm pretty sure the A2 says to run at full rpm or damage to the transmission may result. I have noticed that on the A2's when you engage the crane drive that it puts the transmission in high gear and locks the converter (I think). If you shift gears,it does not change. A 936 that I used to run would shift up through the gears. I hated running it at full rpm because it was screaming. So if you had it at 1500 or so and started pulling a load, it would pull the engine down and start downshifting until it got to first or second gear. Ease up on the load and it would shift back up. Pain...