• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 not shifting out of first

K5Cruz

Looking to buy a M936a2. Looked at it last week, got approved for a loan saturday. Went to drive it today and it wont shift out of first. Guy says it did this once prior when the CTIS stopped working and shifted normal with CTIS brain unplugged afterward. I looked through the trouleshooting in the OM and didnt see anything that addressed this issue. The fluid level is good. With the CTIS plugged in the lights all flash. Unplugged the cannon plug on the unit and restarted the truck with no change.

I guess my question is this. Does the CTIS have the ability to keep the truck from shifting, or is there a transmission issue here? I havent had much time to do anything other than check the fluid. While driving I let off to try to encourage a shift, ran the rpms up trying to get it to shift, and drove it normally. The trans got up to 190 degrees and remained there. Reverse worked fine.

Any first hand information, tips, or troubleshooting literature would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't think of a way for CTIS to interfere with the transmission.

Presume you have a transmission problem. I'd have thought maybe the fluid was cold, but you said you got it warm so that rules that out.

The wreckers are heavy, and go through transmissions faster than the cargo variants.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Put transfer case in low range and see if it will shift thru the gears. If it does then you have a pressure problem. So its internal transmission.

Check the modulator cable to ensure it is not broken or the spring came apart.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I did not think about trying low. Good idea. Where is the spring located?
Spring is inside the modulator base on the transmission...you simply replace the whole unit.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I read this has something to do with converter lockup switch?

Edit: No, that is Stalling in first.

Last edited:

K5Cruz

He mentioned on the phone that he was able to get it to shift into second on his property, but wasnt able to go much faster. He didnt specify what, if anything, he did. He said low did not make any difference. I'm going to run out there tomorrow and check the modulator and clean the governor filter per the troubleshooting info from allisonparts.net. Hopefully its something simple, but I'm afraid I'll be walking away from this one due to a bad trans.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kinda basic, but make sure the PTO is not engaged. When I picked up my wrecker at the base, the PTO was engaged and I couldn't go faster than 15mph. Took a few minutes of checking everything to find it and take it out of PTO, then it would drive normally.

K5Cruz

He did engage the PTO to run the crane and winches, I did not double check that it was disengaged when I took it for a drive. Would it not shift out of first? Thank you for the suggestion!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He did engage the PTO to run the crane and winches, I did not double check that it was disengaged when I took it for a drive. Would it not shift out of first? Thank you for the suggestion!
Take note, the front winch pto and the crane pto are separate controls. The crane pto lever is on the floor, left side of the drivers seat. Sounds like the crane pto is engaged. Reference the operators hand book (-10).
It is a tricky sequence of control manipulation.

162tcat

He mentioned on the phone that he was able to get it to shift into second on his property, but wasnt able to go much faster. He didnt specify what, if anything, he did. He said low did not make any difference. I'm going to run out there tomorrow and check the modulator and clean the governor filter per the troubleshooting info from allisonparts.net. Hopefully its something simple, but I'm afraid I'll be walking away from this one due to a bad trans.
Hopefully the price is good since it seems this guy doesn't know much about it and is trying to make a quick buck. Probably still has the auction stickers on the window.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K5Cruz

He's an acquaintance. He bought the truck from his employer 4 or 5 years ago and it just sits on his property. He doesn't know much about it but I really feel like he isnt out to screw anyone over. He was up front about it having the problem once in the past. The price is great, and honestly would still be a deal with a bad trans.

He worked on it yesterday, said it shifted. I drove it again today, it did shift to 4th. Made an odd downshift to 3rd, and refused to come out of first. The modulator looked fine as far as I could tell. He mentioned bringing a mechanic out to look at it, or just parking it back under the tree and keeping it for use around the house. So nothing useful to add, just a quick update.

Mrsbryner

Hopefully the price is good since it seems this guy doesn't know much about it and is trying to make a quick buck. Probably still has the auction stickers on the window.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t know what gives you the right to say that we are just trying to make a quick buck! For your **** information none of the auction stickers are on it. If you have no helpful information you need to keep your mouth shut!

Mrsbryner

How do you know the transmission is supposedly lunched? It’s me and my husband selling this. Either have helpful information or stay off the thread.

162tcat

I don’t know what gives you the right to say that we are just trying to make a quick buck! For your **** information none of the auction stickers are on it. If you have no helpful information you need to keep your mouth shut!
Easy now! I have issue with people buying, driving and selling a huge price of equipment that can kill people when they know very little about it and how to operate it safely. Based on the info so far, you both don't seem to know much about it. Second, this guy is getting a loan to buy this piece of equipment (bad idea in my opinion) so I'd hate to see him buy something that has known issues and get hosed. Best thing you can do is get to know the piece of equipment your selling for your (and the buyers!) Safety.

The military doesn't just throw the soldiers the keys and say good luck.

Commercial drivers don't just jump in a semi without training and hit the road.

All I'm saying is get informed so nobody gets hurt and gives us all bad name!

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

74M35A2

MrsB, your potential buyer came here and posted asking if we think the truck has transmission issues. Maybe you would be interested in answering the question.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks