• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 Outriggers, Collar Pin? & This thing called RUST

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So, in the continuing saga of getting the outriggers to slide out of the pocket... I have been spraying WD40 for days. Recently upgraded to Weasel Piss. Snatch, Jerk, Yank and Slam. Finally I got some motion! There is a pin that holds a "retaining collar" that holds the "foot" in place. I have managed to shear off two of them.

So far no TM that I have shows that assembly. Since a 285# old guy broke the 1/8th inch pin - I can only presume it is made from some sort of low tinsel strength material. Somebody somewhere designed it to break for a reason. MY GOAL is to replace those broken pins with "factory" replacement parts if I can.

Can anyone help with the correct part or part number or a page in a TM that has the details?

Picture below:

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I need the pin #7 that goes through collar #8. It is about 1/8th inch in diameter and about 2 inches long.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Made more forward progress today. I managed to get the Right Rear out of it's pocket and onto the ground. Seems pretty obvious that it hadn't been used in a lot of years. Lots of spray, lots of wiggling, lots more patience than I really have - but it is out! Only three more to go...

Anybody have an opinion about how to keep them from rusting up again?

I can't imagine grease is the way to go. First, it would be just a NASTY thing to deal with. Second using grease would collect dust, dirt and sand and water...

Right Rear.jpg

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Baton rouge industries.

Oxy rust inhibitor. Does not dry. Designed for saltwater applications. Spray and coat once a year. It is designed for indoor use and storage. However your outriggers wont be exposed to much direct moisture. If they do just spray it again.

And cable coating for all your cables sir.

They have good green grease as well

Spray the whole tube with a good coat of the acetone/atf

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The L-642 comes in 10w, 20w and 30w. Stuff seems really neat! Has silicone to help it glide...
Heavier or Lighter better for the application?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Perfect. L-642 in 10wt is in the cart and the L-673-10 cable lube too.

I went through about a quart and a half of ATF and Acetone today. Took it a while to eat through the gunk but I have a good solid handfull of rust cleaned out so far. The bottom of the tube and the outrigger itself are still pretty bad off. Sprayed everything down one more time to sit overnight. I have a big side grinder with a wire wheel that will clean the arm. Inside the tube will be a little more difficult - but it will be clean before it goes back together.

I eyeballed those winch cables every time I went out there. Gave serious consideration to loading them up with "WP" but I left them alone. This cable lube will be a good fix for that problem.

THANKS for the tips and pointers

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Perfect. L-642 in 10wt is in the cart and the L-673-10 cable lube too.

I went through about a quart and a half of ATF and Acetone today. Took it a while to eat through the gunk but I have a good solid handfull of rust cleaned out so far. The bottom of the tube and the outrigger itself are still pretty bad off. Sprayed everything down one more time to sit overnight. I have a big side grinder with a wire wheel that will clean the arm. Inside the tube will be a little more difficult - but it will be clean before it goes back together.

I eyeballed those winch cables every time I went out there. Gave serious consideration to loading them up with "WP" but I left them alone. This cable lube will be a good fix for that problem.

THANKS for the tips and pointers
The outrigger itself you can get a big plastic container and put it in the water on wood blocks and use electrolysis on it

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The outrigger itself you can get a big plastic container and put it in the water on wood blocks and use electrolysis on it
I picked up a blue 55 gallon plastic barrel (drum) today. About a quarter inch thick. It is a one piece affair, so I guess while it is raining on Saturday - me and a saws-all will have an appointment with the top of the drum.

Been reading up on how to make this work. I predict a little electricity in a big bucket with an outrigger in the middle - coming soon to a building near me! Thanks for the idea Wes.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Started this project on April 21st. Daily spraying of ATF and Acetone. Been through a gallon of each - two gallons sprayed onto the offending two front outriggers...

I have no big trees around here, so I decided that enough was enough and the boom winch was employed. It isn't a perfectly straight pull. Boom in Max Down is still about a foot higher than it should be. Jib is extended about 3 feet to get good alignment.

I have the rope (yeah, rope because a chain won't fit :-( ) as tight as a guitar string. Kept snugging it up and after about an hour - I got tired of hearing the truck run. Sad but true. Anyway, I have heard some popping sounds. Can't really tell that anything has moved more than a fuzz if at all.

I am hoping that tonight it will give way and I will find it hanging out of the truck in the morning. Considered beating on the outside (the parts I can reach) of the outrigger tube with a 3# hammer while it is being pulled by the boom winch. Also considered the rosebud torch but I need to make a gas run for that to happen...

I suppose the other option is to go to the woods and use s snatchblock and a BIG tree. Need to go find a sacrifice piece of winch cable and some clamps before I do that. If I am going to do that -- I need to be prepared to slide the truck or pull down the tree...

OutriggersFromHell 01.jpg OutriggersFromHell 02.jpg OutriggersFromHell 03.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Started this project on April 21st. Daily spraying of ATF and Acetone. Been through a gallon of each - two gallons sprayed onto the offending two front outriggers...

I have no big trees around here, so I decided that enough was enough and the boom winch was employed. It isn't a perfectly straight pull. Boom in Max Down is still about a foot higher than it should be. Jib is extended about 3 feet to get good alignment.

I have the rope (yeah, rope because a chain won't fit :-( ) as tight as a guitar string. Kept snugging it up and after about an hour - I got tired of hearing the truck run. Sad but true. Anyway, I have heard some popping sounds. Can't really tell that anything has moved more than a fuzz if at all.

I am hoping that tonight it will give way and I will find it hanging out of the truck in the morning. Considered beating on the outside (the parts I can reach) of the outrigger tube with a 3# hammer while it is being pulled by the boom winch. Also considered the rosebud torch but I need to make a gas run for that to happen...

I suppose the other option is to go to the woods and use s snatchblock and a BIG tree. Need to go find a sacrifice piece of winch cable and some clamps before I do that. If I am going to do that -- I need to be prepared to slide the truck or pull down the tree...

So, today is Sunday May 10th. Reporting ZERO progress. Applied the boom winch to it and discovered a leak in the extension cylinder. No motion on that left front outrigger.

OutriggersFromHell 03.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
New Progress! 8 inch Bore Brush made all the difference in the world! Okay, so it isn't really an eight inch bore brush... More like an eight inch wire brush for cleaning a chimney - but I am making steady progress getting the rust out of the outrigger pockets!

No job is really done without pictures to prove it...

Still no progress in getting the two front outriggers out - but the back ones are just about ready to be painted with rust inhibitor and slipped back in place!

8 Inch Bore Brush 01.jpg 8 Inch Bore Brush 02.jpg 8 Inch Bore Brush 03.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks M35A2-AZ . I have been steadily sawing between the leg and the box with a hacksaw blade affixed to a saws-all. Worn out two blades so far (between the two sides of the truck). I got the bottom free on both - or at least free as far back as the blade will reach. I have about another inch on the left and right to go on the drivers side. Passenger side is a little less...

Plan is to definitely get more aggressive. It is time for this part of the project to be complete!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks