• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 Overheating

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remove the line going from the shutterstat to the fan, Get the engine up to 210 or so on the gauge, use an air compressor and air blower attachment put to the line, if the fan runs, it's either the shutterstat or one of the elbows is clogged up..Or as Suprman said hook both airlines together to rule out fanclutch ect... An elbow with 1/4" flares or 1/4 inch t with cap http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...e-shutterstat-fails-cheap-fix-for-emergencies .... I went and bought a shutterstat because my fan on my 923A2 stopped working. Was about to start swapping them out, pulled the elbows off the old shutterstat and noticed one of the elbows appears to have a filter in it, looked completely clogged up. Bought an elbow, tada..... Not the shutterstat.
Thanks 1 Patriot-of-many! I was just going to post that....this same problem happened with my truck, with same results you just posted.

As just pointed out, try replacing or bypassing this 1/4" flared elbow to see if air pressure will lock up fan clutch, and use rest of great advice others posted. You should easily be able to drive it back home.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks 1 Patriot-of-many! I was just going to post that....this same problem happened with my truck, with same results you just posted.

As just pointed out, try replacing or bypassing this 1/4" flared elbow to see if air pressure will lock up fan clutch, and use rest of great advice others posted. You should easily be able to drive it back home.
I'm wondering how many people replaced shutterstat when it was an elbow clogged up!

ccbamatx

Remove the line going from the shutterstat to the fan, Get the engine up to 210 or so on the gauge, use an air compressor and air blower attachment put to the line, if the fan runs, it's either the shutterstat or one of the elbows is clogged up..Or as Suprman said hook both airlines together to rule out fanclutch ect... An elbow with 1/4" flares or 1/4 inch t with cap http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...e-shutterstat-fails-cheap-fix-for-emergencies .... I went and bought a shutterstat because my fan on my 923A2 stopped working. Was about to start swapping them out, pulled the elbows off the old shutterstat and noticed one of the elbows appears to have a filter in it, looked completely clogged up. Bought an elbow, tada..... Not the shutterstat.

Patriot-of-many gets the prize!!!!

It was the elbow. So... I go down to NAPA and they have an elbow, but not one with screens. I got that one... what is up with the screens and any idea on where I get one?

Oh... two more shout-outs to Suprman for suggesting to troubleshoot by bypassing the Shutterstat and 74M35A2 for suggesting that I just get on the road and drive.

Once I got on the road, the temp stayed at 180.... When I pulled over to wait for my 12 yr old daughter to catch up (she gave the the 1st leg ride)... the temp increased to 200 and a little over.... 12 yr old was on private dirt roads... of course :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks