• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 Pickup today

bigboy44

Picked up the M936 today from Hammond to Covington, La. today. Made it home ok but it was a long day, the truck was sitting for 4 years and in a mud hole no less. I brought the M931 I picked up from Shelby 2 weeks ago (Great Truck) to pull it out the mud hole where we could work on it, no dice. One set of rears were locked up

My 2 sons, my brother and Dad were there to assist ( my Dad to give orders) we took the control box off the 931 put it on the 936, added batteries and she fired up fairly quick, we moved her to some concrete where we were able to free the rear brakes that were locked. A broken hose on the power steering cyclinder had to be repaired before we burned the power steering pump up, went to get fittings and fluid repaired the lines, aired up the front tires. We then hooked it up to the 931 with the tow bar, air lines and safety chains. We then checked to insure the brakes worked, all lights worked and we were set to go. We then removed the drive shafts and started the 30 mile trip home. As soon as we pulled in the drive the bottom fell out, the 7 1/2 hour trip worked out well, I only drove 35 MPH on the way home and the 931 was a mule it pulled great!! I did reach 40 a few times but noticed a little sway so I kept the speed down.

Will take some pic tomorrow of both trucks while they are hooked up.:razz::razz:

Last edited:

bigboy44

Thanks for explaining that Mr. Tim. It got bad at times just glad I was home when it came. did you get your truck from Pineville Yet?

bigboy44

The Semi

The semi was used to recover the 931 from camp Shelby, it was also used to haul the 931 to Hammond to pull the wrecker out the hole it was in. The reason being I could not get insurance on the 931 before my scheduled pickup. My intention was to pull the wrecker out to where I could hook it up to the freight liner and tow the wrecker home then return for the 931 and trailer. We did not have enough time to do that so we decided we would tow with the 931 I would have prefered to have had insurance on the 931 but I took a big chance, I took it very slow and stayed focus on driving. The alumium ramps would not hold the wrecker and the cab made it to high to transport on the trailer.

The 931 towed the 936 with ease, it shifted great, turned good even though I only had to make 4 turns to get her home. There were about 9 red lights and only had to stop for 2 of them. We had a convoy when we left there, me pulling the wrecker, lil Warren in the semi my other son Wade in my duelly my Dad and brother in his Suburban. It was a hard day but worth the effort!

I asked about the vise on preview and was told it was needed in the shop, it was not in the photos either. I asked the POC why they took my vise off joking with him, about 30 minutes before departing he came and put the vise in the truck (great guy to work with) it has very sharp teeth on the jaws and wasn't used much if at all. It came with 2 double blocks 4 single blocks 2 tow bars with all kinds of brackets and clamps even a axel clamp that looks new also 2 chains with 4 chains coming off a center ring a 12' 3/4" chain with 2 large loops and 1 hook, along with several nylon straps, tire irons and road reflectors. The wiffletree does not appear to have used either and it has the quick release pins to go with it.I also got all the maintenance records since it was new, the hours and miles shown on the gauges are correct!

Thanks for all the good comments.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks