• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 S.O.S. load hanging

ClintA

So let me begin with we were using the M936 today putting together the final drive on a Dresser DT15 and all of the sudden the truck tries to take off. The T-case will not go in neutral, even when it is in neutral. I got under it and checked oil, all is good. It is hot where you can't hold your hand on it on top where the bearing is (short drive line) it is cool on bottom of T-case. I can put the case in high and it will pull forward/backward and I can't get it low at all. So when the handle says it is in neutral, the truck will pull forward and reverse. I let things cool down for lunch, still same thing (T-case is still hot) tried before I came home, same story. I am stumped, the T case is new, bought it from Castle Bravo not long ago and everything worked just fine all day yesterday and today until we were putting the final drive on. I mean it (the final drive) is hanging as we speak, I did boom down to take the load off but I need help in a bad way. Any ideas from you guys?
Can I remove front/back drive-lines so I can get the crawler back together?
If I drive it around some (that will be hard with boom up and cable out) to see if it will fix itself?

I will try it very first thing in the morning, the sun will not come up early enough. Thanks in advance, Clint
575-535-4359

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Pull the top cover off and have a peak inside probably a busted shift fork.

How hot is it getting? Your IR gun should help. 120 degrees is hot enough to burn your hand but the case can operate at that temp.

Did you try dumping all your air and shifting? Maybe the fork cylinder has too much pressure but if you have a full range of motion on the lever I am going to suspect a busted shift fork.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ClintA

OK, so how hard it that (the shift fork) to get to on a wrecker? I did dump all air, and still hard to get to high, can not get to low at all.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is an oil pump on the back of it, If that goes out I guess it could make the top bearing get hot. But that is just a guess.

ClintA

The pump is working good, it did get hot but not dangerous hot and the T-case was working good all 2 days until setting the final drive on the dozer. I mean it was so close it was like a wind chime so I had to boom down to take load off and it would not self destruct. So today we took both drive lines off so we could finish and fold up, I looked under it and they were turning like you were driving it down the road (not the drive shafts but where they bolt too) but it did work enough to put all back together.

What TM tell one the best way to rebuild a T-case?

ClintA

I have to eat my words, "the oil pump is working good" sorry M35A2-AZ I thought it was. The T-Case ate the top bearing so now to rebuild it. YEA!!!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have to eat my words, "the oil pump is working good" sorry M35A2-AZ I thought it was. The T-Case ate the top bearing so now to rebuild it. YEA!!!
All of the bearings inside the transfer case are available thru your local Napa. Ebay would be the cheaper source though. I actually am running the numbers now and adding em to the parts spreadsheet. If you need any help locating the parts let me know.

ClintA

All of the bearings inside the transfer case are available thru your local Napa. Ebay would be the cheaper source though. I actually am running the numbers now and adding em to the parts spreadsheet. If you need any help locating the parts let me know.
If you only knew how much that would help me, that would make my bad day a better one, PLEASE AND THANKS!!!!!!

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry you have to rebuild the T-case, but now you may know why it happened. Good luck with the rebuild!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks