• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 Tug-o-war, spade use vid.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ha.... Looks like the military never did that kind of a simple test...? Otherwise one would suppose the'd come up with something different, to be used as spades. Something more like a plow, that actually does dig into the ground...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The heavy wrecker is picking up on the cable. The 936 is not. What you need to do on mud suction.

Same thing happens in this video that the 936 would do in recovery. just bulldozing even with 2 mk48/15s and the PLS/case1155 combo. Get close enough and use the boom.

I would think of putting the outriggers out and running a snatch block off the crane to lift and pull the same way the heavy is setup.

davidb56

@ Simp......agree. I think (hard for me to see the line on the 936) the 936 wasn't rigged the same as the recovery truck. it had a disadvantage, as the recovery truck was slightly "lifting" the back of the 936, causing the spades to fail to dig down, and the 936 rigged lower, pulling down on the recovery truck, adding pressure to his spades.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the 936 wasn't rigged the same as the recovery truck. it had a disadvantage, as the recovery truck was slightly "lifting" the back of the 936, causing the spades to fail to dig down, and the 936 rigged lower, pulling down on the recovery truck, adding pressure to his spades.
Correct. But you can see, he then lifted his spades off the ground and even so was able to drag the M936, easily. On the other hand, those (military) spades did do nothing, and that I think has nothing to do with the way it was rigged...

davidb56

Correct. But you can see, he then lifted his spades off the ground and even so was able to drag the M936, easily. On the other hand, those (military) spades did do nothing, and that I think has nothing to do with the way it was rigged...
they are too long and should be pointing more at a downward angle which would make the front of the truck a counterweight. Everything was wrong in that vid.

Ajax MD

The heavy wrecker is picking up on the cable. The 936 is not. What you need to do on mud suction.

Same thing happens in this video that the 936 would do in recovery. just bulldozing even with 2 mk48/15s and the PLS/case1155 combo. Get close enough and use the boom.

I would think of putting the outriggers out and running a snatch block off the crane to lift and pull the same way the heavy is setup.

Damn, that whole vid was fascinating. The size of those snatch blocks...phew.

I've walked around down inside the dry docks holding submarines that I was assigned to, and it's impressive. This was equally impressive. Those marines were working hard. Much respect.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Damn, that whole vid was fascinating. The size of those snatch blocks...phew.

I've walked around down inside the dry docks holding submarines that I was assigned to, and it's impressive. This was equally impressive. Those marines were working hard. Much respect.
That snatch block in the video is half the weight of those used on the 5 tons wreckers. There was one on Ebay awhile back for around $500?

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
they are too long and should be pointing more at a downward angle which would make the front of the truck a counterweight. Everything was wrong in that vid.
Actually, the problem was that the civi wrecker had the advantage of it's weight - only a slight advantage of the raised height of the pull. The 936 spades weren't dig in enough initially - and longer ones would be better (though totally pita to stow and deploy) as the angle of non rigid spades to the line of the pull (winch cable) should be as small as possible, to stop the rear being lifted over them. Frame mounted rigid spades (as the civi wrecker or Coffee1s 1089) are the obvious improvement as the reaction force would be to lift the front of the truck - which isn't gonna happen in loose ground. (Many vids of overloaded civi wreckers pulling wheelies where the rear rigid spades lock into the ground and the wrecker is pulling fantastic loads).

It's interesting how civi wreckers developed faster than the military equivalents in this respect. Normally, innovations in conflict race ahead of civilian advances. 'Free' spades go back to WWII and the Ward la France, then were left barely unchanged right up to the M984 HEMTT wrecker. The M1089 is the first generation military wrecker to 'catch up' with civi design - also the Marines 10x10 Oshkosh MMRS.tug o war geometry.pngtug o war geometry II.png

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks