• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 Wrecker hitch receiver. Gooseneck?

WildernessJeep

I just got a (still unseen) M936 wrecker. I haven't even seen the back of it yet, but know that I want a 2" hitch receiver. I've searched the others, and it seems the deuce guys got lucky and can just order a bolt-on hitch. I'm pretty sure I'll have to fabricate something. Does anyone have a good photo of what my back bumper is going to look like, and even better one with a hitch receiver?

Secondary to that, has anyone put a 3" ball on their M936? I'd only use it for empty trailers or short runs. How to move a gooseneck trailer with an M936?

Attachments

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got a (still unseen) M936 wrecker. I haven't even seen the back of it yet, but know that I want a 2" hitch receiver. I've searched the others, and it seems the deuce guys got lucky and can just order a bolt-on hitch. I'm pretty sure I'll have to fabricate something. Does anyone have a good photo of what my back bumper is going to look like, and even better one with a hitch receiver?
Secondary to that, has anyone put a 3" ball on their M936? I'd only use it for empty trailers or short runs. How to move a gooseneck trailer with an M936?

Not room for much on the back. You could remove the bumpers and fabricate something to make a receiver hitch.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like your installation. Do you have to turn the pintle hitch horizontally to use the hitch, or is it not in the way? It is tough to see from the pic. Thanks!
Yes you have to turn the pintle just a little when you put the hitch into the receiver. If you could add like a 1/2"-3/4" spacers to drop the rec. hitch a little would be ok. But it is not a problem when you pull the hitch out of the receiver and just use the pintle. These pics may show that.

Attachments

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you have to turn the pintle just a little when you put the hitch into the receiver. If you could add like a 1/2"-3/4" spacers to drop the rec. hitch a little would be ok. But it is not a problem when you pull the hitch out of the receiver and just use the pintle. These pics may show that.
Was you hitch something you fabricated or did you purchase it somewhere? Really like the bolt aspect to it - thanks

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No it was something I purchased, it was a Curt 15530 . You will have to drill some holes.

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made a QD hitch for a M923 - as it is a tractor, so very tight for bracing points. I used my M816 wrecker as a jig to fabricate it. Should fit a M936 the same. Nothing is cut or welded on the original vehicle - just the use of the tie down shackle points and removal of the washer under the pintle retaining nut. Let me know if you want dims.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did say for a goose-neck, didn't you? What are you going to do with the boom? Sure a ball could be tucked under for a normal ball hitch tounge but gooseneck needs vertical room.

Myself, I would consider making an A arm that has an end of boom attachment point, probably using the cable to tighten or pins to existing holes. That puts the ball for a gooseneck way out there behind....but it's a wrecker.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was you hitch something you fabricated or did you purchase it somewhere? Really like the bolt aspect to it - thanks
No it was something I purchased, it was a Curt 15530 . You will have to drill some holes.
A Curt 15400 or 15800 might also work.
@M35A2-AZ What is the distance from the bottom of the frame rails to the centerline of the slide-in receiver? It's 8.5" on the 15400 and should be the same on the 15800. Would that clear the pintle if it was rotated?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A Curt 15400 or 15800 might also work.
@M35A2-AZ What is the distance from the bottom of the frame rails to the centerline of the slide-in receiver? It's 8.5" on the 15400 and should be the same on the 15800. Would that clear the pintle if it was rotated?
It is 8.5" also. I think if you put a 1" spacer and longer bolts it would clear. If you do not have the recover in it the Pintle clears just fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks