• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936A1 Tachometer Drive Replacement

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I didn't find instructions for replacing the tachometer drive components internal to the fuel injection pump in the TMs, so I wonder if anybody can give me any tips. The tachometer doesn't function on my M936A1 wrecker. The cable spins freely, but the electrical RPM sender and the drive shaft coming out of the injection pump both rusted, bound up, and broke. I have the threaded part removed from the IP, but the remainder of the shaft is still in the pump and I'd like to obtain a proper clue before I break anything else trying to get it out!

The stub of the shaft will rotate a degree or two when I twist it with pliers, but it doesn't turn when I crank the engine. I have a feeling that I'll need to get inside the IP to remove and replace the shaft, and I hope that the gear that it engages will still be ok. My wrecker has the IP version with the constant-speed governor that is engaged when using the rear hydraulics. I note that it's missing the fuel pressure sender for the STE/ICE-R connector, and the 4-pin connector for it is dangling near the pump. I don't know yet if this version of the pump should have that sender (which is present on my M923), but I don't think it makes a difference if I don't expect to use the diagnostic connector.

It appears that once I fix the tachometer drive, I might optionally leave the broken electrical RPM sender out instead of replacing it, since it looks like the tachometer cable will connect to the drive without the electrical sender.

Pictures are attached. Have any of y'all had to dig out a bad tachometer drive shaft before?

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
If I understand what I'm reading in the TMs, the fuel pump on the NHC250 is not timed to the engine like the injection pumps on an LDT465, 6.2L V8, etc. So, taking the pump off to work on the tachometer drive shouldn't be too hard to do, right?

govt

My pulse sender unit is bound and broken. Mine is yellow with two wires coming out of it. Is this the piece you are thinking of leaving out?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I understand what I'm reading in the TMs, the fuel pump on the NHC250 is not timed to the engine like the injection pumps on an LDT465, 6.2L V8, etc. So, taking the pump off to work on the tachometer drive shouldn't be too hard to do, right?

Correct.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
My pulse sender unit is bound and broken. Mine is yellow with two wires coming out of it. Is this the piece you are thinking of leaving out?
Yes, that's the piece. I'll replace it if I can find one at a sane price, but getting the tachometer on the dash working seems like a much higher priority to me.

I guess I'll pull out the pump so I can pull out the bad tach drive on a workbench, clean out any cruft, and inspect the helical gear on the pump driveshaft. Would it cause problems if I used a suitable grade of RTV in place of the original gasket when I reinstall it?

crasheej

Get the gasket. They don't cost that much. Most pump placs have them. You will have fun with the bolt on the back side unless you have the right tool.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Thanks for the warning. Maybe I should start with the bolt on the back side so that the pump isn't dangling by one bolt when I figure out that I need to order another tool.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I got the wrench, but haven't had a chance to pull the pump yet. Maybe this weekend? I'll order the gasket along with the rest of the tach drive parts that I will need, once I get in there and find out how much is broken.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks