• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936A1 Wrecker Hydraulic Oil Drain and Filter Change

Drryan

Proud new owner of a M936 Wrecker! Drained the hydraulic oil for the first time and replaced the filter. Thought it would be helpful to tell others that the job wasn't as messy as I thought it would be. The drain valve nut on the 100gallon tank was rusted inside the valve, so I had to replace the entire valve with a new 3/4" ball valve. The most helpful thing was to place a thick plastic piece over the filler tube and zip tie it to put a suction on it. That way when I unscrewed the rusted drain valve and put the new one back in, I only lost about a quart of oil. Replacing the filter was easy. 4 bolts...back them out most of the way, then tap on the filter cover with a rubber mallet to release any pressure built up. Mine didn't have any pressure behind it, but putting the new filter in, I could feel some pressure built up. Check out the pics if you like. I bought 2 clean pickle barrels and a hand pump from Tractor Supply to pump the fluid back into the tank. 832 pumps later, I wish I had bought a 12 volt transfer pump and just used my car battery. Otherwise, buy a 120volt pump and plug'er in! If you need a good tricep work-out, buy the hand pump...

Attachments

charlesmann

Where did get your filter at?

I did the same with my 936, but the first timed i drained it, i put it in a 275gal plastic tote. The sec time i drained, i had to replace 2 lift cyl hyd lines. I didnt have an empty tote so i used 5 gal buckets, fuel cans and 2.5gal jugs. I too pulled my filter bc the indicator was pointing to ditry/change. I pulled it and only found a few small unk blue and white plastic pieces and very small amount junk in the housing. Soaked the filter in parts solvent for a day, blew the mesh out and reinstalled. I strained the solvent and ran a magnet through the strainer and found 1 sliver of steel the thickness of a sheet of paper and a fingernail amount of fine brass/bronze filings.

I started with pouring the jugs of fluid back in, but decided to get my 12v fuel xfr pump amd let it pull the fluid through a new filter. Took a while to pump the fluid, including 2 gal of lucas hyd stabilizer, but a lot less work and less spillage.

Drryan

I did the same with my 936, but the first timed i drained it, i put it in a 275gal plastic tote. The sec time i drained, i had to replace 2 lift cyl hyd lines. I didnt have an empty tote so i used 5 gal buckets, fuel cans and 2.5gal jugs. I too pulled my filter bc the indicator was pointing to ditry/change. I pulled it and only found a few small unk blue and white plastic pieces and very small amount junk in the housing. Soaked the filter in parts solvent for a day, blew the mesh out and reinstalled. I strained the solvent and ran a magnet through the strainer and found 1 sliver of steel the thickness of a sheet of paper and a fingernail amount of fine brass/bronze filings.

I started with pouring the jugs of fluid back in, but decided to get my 12v fuel xfr pump amd let it pull the fluid through a new filter. Took a while to pump the fluid, including 2 gal of lucas hyd stabilizer, but a lot less work and less spillage.
I bought it off of ebay...appears to be high quality

Reactions: 98G

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

@fuzzytoaster has em on his ebay store