• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936A2 boom lift cyl hose replacement

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
@Mullaney i didnt swap cylinders, and the cyl that did get swapped before i got it, was on the tank side.

Going with the 100 gal with a completely empty system, then i did over svc the tank.

After putting everything back together properly, including the boom cyl pin and retaining bolt, i was running the system through all ranges of motion for 10 min or so to hopefully bleed all the air out of the lines and cyl, i did notice a smell that i havent smelled before. It def was a petroleum smell and could have been the lucas hyd additive, but uncertain.

I did, while i was in the hyd system, pull the crane winch motor to put the spare motor on so i could put new seals on my original motor, just to find out the spare was a leaking sob too.

Ill contact parker and verify the p/n of seals and order 2 of everything and while im down for post surgery recovery starting mon after i get out of the OR, ill have several weeks before ill be climbing on the tck, which will give me time to get the seals in and have them replaced by the local parker people in waco.

After that, ill work on figuring out the damn brake dragging issue.
I was expecting maybe a 55 gallon drum to fill that tank. When you mentioned 100 gallons - I was a little shocked. That was when I started hunting and found the number. Still, they didn't do a very good job of documenting the oil in my opinion. The heat / petroleum smell I guess could be the additive. If you warmed it up again and opened the filler on the tank, it should smell stronger. Maybe?

Hope your surgery goes well.
Try to post up so everybody knows how you are afterward.
Expecting glowing results of course...

It is amazing how the sun and wind and rain wears on something like those seals. Good part is that there can't be too much more to fix. Like mine, I have finally started to run out of things to fix. Trying to start cleaning up a little more to consider the possibility that next summer I might be able to squirt some paint...

charlesmann

Iv got plenty to still fix on mine. I def need to get the brake dragging fixed, then get the shutter stat replaced with the solenoid i bought some time back. I have several rust holes on the hood id either grind out and weld in a new patch or strip and repaint the hood off the parts truck. Plus i need to replace both roll up door windows, replace the sliding glass rear window, reseal ALL windows/windscreens, replace the “insulation” in the cab with noise reduction material, put a 24 to 12 v dc converter to run a radio, speakers and a cb/fm.

The brakes are priority, since i need to take on a 4-4.5 drive 1 way to help cut down and load some trees at a high school classmate’s property.

charlesmann

Hope your surgery goes well.
Try to post up so everybody knows how you are afterward.
Expecting glowing results of course...
Surgery went well, the VA didnt kill me during surgery, but im betting waking up, they probably wished they did. Im a 👹 when coming to. It was just a day procedure to repair the ligaments in my left ankle, planar facia tendon and grind off the heel spur.
Ill give it 10-12 days before i attempt to mess with the dragging brake issue, and another 14 days for the crane winch motor. Them motors are freakin HEAVY, a bag of concrete in a folgers coffee can size.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Surgery went well, the VA didnt kill me during surgery, but im betting waking up, they probably wished they did. Im a 👹 when coming to. It was just a day procedure to repair the ligaments in my left ankle, planar facia tendon and grind off the heel spur.
Ill give it 10-12 days before i attempt to mess with the dragging brake issue, and another 14 days for the crane winch motor. Them motors are freakin HEAVY, a bag of concrete in a folgers coffee can size.
Yeah I have to have a haglund deformity fixed and a Achilles detach and reattach done at some point but I don't have 8 months to sit around and do nothing

charlesmann

Yeah I have to have a haglund deformity fixed and a Achilles detach and reattach done at some point but I don't have 8 months to sit around and do nothing
I can only afford the 6 wks for temp recovery, then i gotta head to south america to relieve my off sider so he can go hm to his family for the holidays.
My right ankle rebuild, i should have had 6 months off, but bills have to get paid, so i brushed the sand off my b@!!s and went back to work. Im sure it’ll be the same 6 months of pain with this surgery, esp having to climb up the side of my chinook.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I understand. That getting from the point of "out" to fully awake has been difficult for me too in the past. Mine were generally self inflicted with broken things that hat to be put back together or stitched up. Maybe you can sit still for a couple of weeks to get everything healing before you try and do more than you should. Glad to hear they have you patched up!

Yessir, it is amazing how heavy and compact a motor or pump is. Lots of hustling and grunting involved for sure.

Chinook... Has to be pretty amazing to just sit in - and to clamor in and out of and move stuff around... What an adventure that would be!

charlesmann

@Mullaney tools and components of these egg beaters are heavy, im getting older and the young guys have little motivation to work, let alone pick up heavy things. 1 blade is 375ish lbs, and i can still pick it up by myself for certain quick tasks. Im finding it that these young and suppose to be in shape/physically fit guys are vertical tacos with ample sand for filling.
I was wanting to move in to the cockpit, but with seeing how pre madona and weak minded some of the pilots, co and command pilots alike, its getting more difficult to make that transition and be associated with that type of people

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
@Mullaney tools and components of these egg beaters are heavy, im getting older and the young guys have little motivation to work, let alone pick up heavy things. 1 blade is 375ish lbs, and i can still pick it up by myself for certain quick tasks. Im finding it that these young and suppose to be in shape/physically fit guys are vertical tacos with ample sand for filling.
I was wanting to move in to the cockpit, but with seeing how pre madona and weak minded some of the pilots, co and command pilots alike, its getting more difficult to make that transition and be associated with that type of people
Sad but true. The mechanicals aren't very and the pilots are a bunch of whining weirdos. I keep thinking that the younger folks are eventually going to figure out that they need to hump it a little more - but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Yeah, I think my days of hustling three and a half hundred are about over. Got through my hospital trip and I have a lot more "git up and go" than I had, but I think those days are about behind me.