• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936a2 need Advise

frogman2

What is the correct oil to use for the hydraulic system that runs the crane and winches?Res. tank was drained,how much will it hold?

Under dash air-line routing/schematic,had a big fat rat modify them to suit his new home

Also looking to purchase used/new engine shutdown solenoid if anyone is parting out a truck?

Would like to upgrade to 16.00-20's,any mods needed or any downsides to doing so?

Mainly to increase hwy. speed for transport and better off-road capability.Will not be used to tow vehicles on-road,only use is for extraction off-road and crane use on remote property.

Thanx for any help in advance.

frogman2

Sorry but I could not find anything in the TM about capacity other than checking dipstick.A 936 has a larger oil tank for the wrecker so 8 gallons is nowhere near what it will take,I'm guessing more like 30-40 gallons without having to do the math on the tank.I was thinking maybe AW-68 on the hyd. oil or Dextron 3 ATF,just thought someone who has one would be quick to help a fellow member.Thanx for your reply.

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just want to put this out; you would be fine with Dex 3 ATF. At Halliburton we used ATF in all of our hydraulics. We did not have trouble with any of our hyd components because of the fluid. I am not sure about the AW-68 but I would think any kind of a anti foam 10 weight hyd fluid would work fine.

SLOrazorsedge

OE 10MIL-0-2104 - +10F TO +90F
OE 30MIL-0-2104 - ABOVE +90F
OES MIL-0-10295 - MINUES -0 TO MINUS -65

Specs are on the wrecker turret control panel data plates. If your missing your data plates, PM me your email and I'll send you a clear photo of them.

frogman2

Thanx to all who have replied

Yes data plate is unreadable,found that same info in TM,just looking for real world info as most parts houses would say you need what?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the correct oil to use for the hydraulic system that runs the crane and winches?Res. tank was drained,how much will it hold?

Under dash air-line routing/schematic,had a big fat rat modify them to suit his new home

Also looking to purchase used/new engine shutdown solenoid if anyone is parting out a truck?

Would like to upgrade to 16.00-20's,any mods needed or any downsides to doing so?

Mainly to increase hwy. speed for transport and better off-road capability.Will not be used to tow vehicles on-road,only use is for extraction off-road and crane use on remote property.

Thanx for any help in advance.
10w hydraulic fluid, you can get by with 60-ish gallons with a capacity of 100. My advice is don't put 16.00s on it, it's already under powered for the weight and with those tires you'll take even longer to get moving. Since the A2 gets its power mostly from the turbo and you putting larger tires on it and plan to be off-road then don't be surprised if you can't get moving without putting her into low transfer and even then don't forget you can't back up in that range! The weight alone will find soft spots in the earth and putting larger tires will make getting out of ruts that much harder. 16.00s won't give you any better highway speed as you'll be using more power to turn the heavier wheels that are still rated for 55 mph so in essence you'll be trading acceleration and stability for slightly lower RPMs and cost. Don't forget if you're traveling and a 16.00 blows that's a heavier truck fighting you for control. As for stability try lifting 10,000 lbs with the boom and watch how your rears will squat on solid ground, this alone may change your mind. Take it from a guy who uses his M936A2 daily. The 14.00s are the ideal tire for the truck unless you need more stability (go duals). Wreckers are heavy beasts and make great land submarines. :roll:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wreckers are heavy beasts and make great land submarines.
That right there is one of the funniest quotes (truths) I've seen in a long while. Would make a great Facebook group... if I was interested in such things.
I think all the wrecker mod/done with your wrecker/wrecker wishlist etc., threads need to be renamed!

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I second the 395 suggestion. The 395 Michelin XZLs are rated for more load (12,300 lbs. each) than the 14.00s (9,920-9,960 lbs.). The 395 Goodyear MVTs offer a wider footprint and higher speed rating (68 mph) albeit with a slightly lower weight rating (9,370 lbs.). The A2 engine can spin up pretty well with a governor adjustment.

SLOrazorsedge

Ditto on the 16R20's for a wrecker. I can squat the 14R20's lifting from the side on the #3 axle pretty easily. We all cheat not using the downriggers from time to time, you would be spending all your time "spinning" down the downriggers with the 16's. Going down the road the wrecker is the most comfortable truck in the M939 series as it "floats" due to the 39K weight. Being up another 5 inches in height could get pretty exciting...just saying.

Csm Davis

Ditto on the 16R20's for a wrecker. I can squat the 14R20's lifting from the side on the #3 axle pretty easily. We all cheat not using the downriggers from time to time, you would be spending all your time "spinning" down the downriggers with the 16's. Going down the road the wrecker is the most comfortable truck in the M939 series as it "floats" due to the 39K weight. Being up another 5 inches in height could get pretty exciting...just saying.
Should only be about 2" difference in the height of the wrecker from 14.00 at 49" and 16.00 at 53".