• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936A2 towed

GILBERT2020

Bought an m936A2 sight unseen. Currently up in Alaska working and was approached by someone looking to move the wrecker needing cash soon. We made a deal and given that I was so far away I arranged a tow. The m936 was about 180 miles from my home but I was able to find a towing company who said they had “experience” with military equipment. I stressed to them the steps required for towing a m939 truck and they said no problem…

fast forward a few days, I get a call from the tow truck driver letting me know he had my m936 and was 20 miles from my house. He wanted payment before dropping and given I’m so far away he sent me a photo of the truck. Once I seen the photo my stomach dropped. He towed from the rear, didn’t drop anything/pull anything, just put the transfer case and transmission in neutral and rolled 160 miles at 62 MPh…

I asked him why he hadn’t followed any of the steps I outlined for him prior to the tow and he said “In my experience, I’ve never done any of those things you asked me to do on these types of trucks“.

I won’t be home for another 8 weeks roughly to investigate the wrecker. Anyone have a clue what kind of damage I can expect? Surely someone has had this happen or heard of some idiot doing the same.

Attachments

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the front axle being air engaged hopefully nothing has been damaged. If he put the t-case in neutral that would be another layer of comfort but I doubt that happened. All in all nothing you can do beyond pure speculation for 8 weeks until you can get eyes on it. I bet it's either fine or fubar but my gut is on fine minus any lack of PMCS done to the machine prior to the 160 miles.

GILBERT2020

With the front axle being air engaged hopefully nothing has been damaged. If he put the t-case in neutral that would be another layer of comfort but I doubt that happened. All in all nothing you can do beyond pure speculation for 8 weeks until you can get eyes on it. I bet it's either fine or fubar but my gut is on fine minus any lack of PMCS done to the machine prior to the 160 miles.
Appreciate the response. This is going to be a LONG 8 weeks… smh

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Nothing wrong with towing it like that. Front Axle wasn't engaged or there would have been a driveline on the ground from being snapped.

Transfer case doesn't even have to be in neutral for that tow nor does any air need to be to the truck.

So there is nothing wrong with the truck that wasn't already wrong with it.

GILBERT2020

Nothing wrong with towing it like that. Front Axle wasn't engaged or there would have been a driveline on the ground from being snapped.

Transfer case doesn't even have to be in neutral for that tow nor does any air need to be to the truck.

So there is nothing wrong with the truck that wasn't already wrong with it.
Well I definitely stand corrected. Appreciate the info Wes. Only been tinkering with these trucks for a couple years now and this website has been a wealth of knowledge. I currently have 5 now and it’s starting to become an addiction.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks