• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936A2 wrecker boom cable broke at clevis end with pics

wcuhillbilly

NOT a GOOD idea, 1/2" will snap as soon as anything bigger then a bush as soon as the lead end snags a stump, dirt mound, ect.

ordinarily I would agree with you,,, however Im not dealing with the big 3' diam oaks that I grew up around in the southern Appalachians,,, out here a large sagebrush is considered a tree and if a Ponderosa Pine is 8" in diam its considered old growth..... Im just pulling 10-15ft logs more for fire wood than anything else. If I end up doing any Real Logging I will certainly invest in some Real cable, especially if anyone but myself is involved,,,,, I only gamble with my life......

guns1977

On reassembly i used the original plug wedge and nut. If you were able to see it, i inserted the cable in the nut, put in a vice and the lenght of the wedge plus 2" i unwound all the wires, the plug in mine has a twist, once the cable wires are in place equally around the wedge i used a hammer and set the wedge in the nut then the extra wire sticking out i used channel lock pliers and twisted the wire in the direction it will thread back on, if you notice it has a little notch inside the pulley so when tightened it locks the cable on top of the wedge to help hold things in place. Mine worked like a charm lifting 5k lb bin blocks unloading and stacking. Hope this helps.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great to have a wrecker / crane safety operation posting every once in awhile...

Two points;
- Esmet fittings have a small hole in them so that upon reassembly, you can see that you have set the end of the cable in far enough before tightening the nut.
- Those "wedge" type fittings that have been mentioned are only rated at 80%. (Esmet type - 100%)

Re rain ingress, if you are worried about future corrosion, keep your rig set at two fall, the Esmet fitting will stay upside down, like a bat sleeping and will not let rain in. Resheave for single or triple only when needed.

z

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks