• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 5-ton water fording depth capability. How deep have you been in your truck?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Where I have one of my stores it floods when it rains heavy. I get about 3 feet of water in the street. It does not usually come into my store. I would go through this out of necessity.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Apologize in advance for the one big paragraph - Windows 8 does not allow me to put in paragraph breaks ------------------------------------------------------------Didn't read all three pages of posts, but did read the TM. With 42" tires you can ford 84" which means to the bottom of the windshield. I think this mainly has to do with operator safety, as you don't want to be swimming the truck along and drop into a hole and drown the driver. Obviously, the truck would be fine until the air intake is taking in water. The TM also states that after fording, you must perform all kinds of fun maintenance on the drivetrain. So it really means that if you take your truck swimming, expect to spend some time getting rid of the water that got into stuff. If you don't think that happens, ask Sewerzuk, who's deuce wheel bearings gave out in Portland unexpectedly. He had been swimming his bobber deuce many times in the flood waters of Tillamook and then found out the hard way on the way home from a trip to Eastern Oregon what that did to his wheel bearings. It took a couple of years for them to get enough water in them to seize up, but when it did, it was a real mess. All that said, we ford a big creek every day we are working on that side with bob tail trucks, and our m925. We don't go through more than 18" of water for the most part, and have not found any water in the wheel bearings or differentials. Your results may vary.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I believe you need a fording kit installed for 84 inches. Anything over the top of the chucks to the vent holes would be an issue but I believe that point is over 3 feet

jwesley74

We have driven our M925 in water to the top of the hood (about 60"+ I would guess) with no issues in a canal that we nearly got stuck in the deepest part. Ended up backing out then driving forward til we made it thru. We snorkel vented all the diffs and silicone caulked the air filter housing to insure water tight seal.