• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 A-2 Fan engage tempreture changed from 190F to 220F

99nouns

I had my fan kick on at 200 and I had a chirping sound coming from the belt tension bearing, so I have been oiling it with liquid grease, WD40 and SeaFoam's Deep Creep <-I like the most which I stopped the chirping sound from the bearing, but I got quickly caught up with spraying that stuff everywhere and some oil into the clutch (I think) where the fan rotates freely until that click sound, and now my fan wont kick on until 220 or so, is that ok or should I lock-n-load my brake cleaner and shoot some in that clutch wheel at the fan??? Perhaps something slipping because of the oil or what?

Thank you in advance...

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You can test the fan clutch by taking the air line off the shutterstat and blowing compressed air into the line. I have heard of dirt and stuff getting in the system and needing to be cleaned out. The shutterstat is a piece of metal that expands and contracts with temperature. I think the original one is set to around 215. I prefer one that opens around 200. You can use an IR thermometer. The dash gauge could be off a bit and the shutterstat is on the upper rad pipe while the temp sender is by the thermostats I believe so there can be some difference.
Will

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Yes air pressure engages it. The shutterstat is normally closed until it reaches opening temp. Check your coolant level if you are a bit low it can affect activation the upper line may not be completely full of coolant.

99nouns

Ok I checked the system and here is the picture...

20150702_125459_stitch.jpg

Sorry it might look weird because I stitched to show all in one pic.

So do I blow the air into red A inlet, blue B outlet.

Also do I remove the line from yellow C from the clutch housing while blowing the air?

Mine says BMY 200, so I assume mine is set 200F

There is also a straight hex nut at below picture with yellow arrow, I wonder if that helps with anything?

20150702_125345.jpg

Rmtaunton

By the way you can blow air in it with motor off to see if it locks , a little safer but sounds like you already got it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks