• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 ABS ECU failure point

TexAndy

Where is the ABS ECU located? I can't find it anywhere in the 4 volume TM pdf.

It's not the same thing as the Protective control box (PCB) is it?

I'm having the same symptom. 15A fuse under dash blowing as soon as I turn the switch, ABS light constant on.

eta: Well, they're definitely not the same thing. Went ahead and took the PCB out and took the cover off. It's just a couple of big fuses and little fuses.

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is the ABS ECU located? I can't find it anywhere in the 4 volume TM pdf.

It's not the same thing as the Protective control box (PCB) is it?

I'm having the same symptom. 15A fuse under dash blowing as soon as I turn the switch, ABS light constant on.

eta: Well, they're definitely not the same thing. Went ahead and took the PCB out and took the cover off. It's just a couple of big fuses and little fuses.
The ABS ECU is up above the center axle on the relay assy.

TexAndy

Ok, there is something to the original post in this thread.

Before doing anything:

My ABS light was always on
Would blow the 15 amp fuse under dash every time
No self check clicks

After pulling the ECU and clipping the 5kp33ca diode in the picture:

ABS light still always on
No longer blows the 15 amp fuse under dash
It now does the two series of self check clicks when I turn it on.

I'm going to desolder the old diode from the board, then order a replacement diode from mouser and install it and see if that fixes the light.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The diode is simply for protection. The abs ecu should have a voltage regulator before it this would better protect the ecu. The light can be on with a stored fault code you need a reader to clear it. But you cannot expect the abs to function properly with the light on. I have new abs ecu's coming in soon they are easy to swap.
Will

TexAndy

I would buy another ECU, but I just don't have the money.

Is there really no way to clear an error code on these things without the reader tool from haldex?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Not that I know of. It may clear itself over time. I only know a little bit from playing around with the system on my trucks. The mil alternators are very unreliable and the abs ecu is very voltage sensitive it's a bad combination. A good voltage regulator would solve the issue there are cheap ones available that can take a wide range voltage input and put out a stable 12 or 24 v
Will

TexAndy

Thanks, I will look into doing exactly that.

I'm sure it was an alternator issue. I just replaced the voltage regulator on mine. Old one had VERY burnt out diodes on it.

TexAndy

Not surprising. When this one fails, I'll probably just go with a commercial AC delco alternator.

Slightly related, you can make a Prestolite regulator work with a Hellas alternator. Turn down the tongue on the Prestolite regulator so it'll fit into the Hellas body and just hook up pins 1,2, and 5. Ignore pin 4. It apparently works just fine.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I personally don't like the Hellas alternators. I had one in my tractor I swapped it with another truck I had before I sold the other truck. After replacing the regulator that is.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Be careful. If the abs does not kick in, in a slide condition, with your foot on the brakes and the wheels not turning the drivetrain can stall the engine before the torque converter unlocks. If this happens you will loose power steering.

TexAndy

Will do, Thanks.

That's why I was thinking about doing this at the airport. No ditches or fences to run into if I lose power steering. Just clear grass field on either side.

TexAndy

The diagnostic tool for the ABS on these trucks is available in europe from a few vendors, but it's a bit expensive. In the neighborhood of 350 bucks.

Saw an old ebay listing of one for 40, tho.

I'm curious what trucks in europe use the same ECU or compatible ABS parts as are on the 939 series trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks