• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Air tank help

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Does anyone know or have a diagram of air tanks primary secondary any additional locations thanks
Go into the TM section and download the p2p manual. It has them all. Download it to your desktop. Follow the instructions it has.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Ford Mechanic

P2p manual?
It's in the TM section at the top of the main page. But it doesn't help you, if you don't have anything to download it to as in my case.

As far as locations of the air tanks, follow your lines back that lead from the drains on your passenger side. There are only 4 tanks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So as to those drains 1 2 3 4 so #1 being primary #2 being secondary ?
The reason being ever since I change my air dryer the primary loses a little bit more after it sat for a while then the secondary and I just wanted to confirm if if the primary tank is back there by the air dryer.

Thanks

Ford Mechanic

The reason being ever since I change my air dryer the primary loses a little bit more after it sat for a while then the secondary and I just wanted to confirm if if the primary tank is back there by the air dryer.

Thanks
Honestly I don't know, how much is it losing and how fast? Cause we're "supposed" to be draining the tanks daily. If I don't I tend to have a valve stick during cold mornings not allowing the brakes to release.
I use a spray bottle with dish washing soap to find air leaks.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Thanks
The tank in front of the air dryer is the wet tank. It feeds both tanks and catchs most of the water. Secondary tank is the lower tank under the passengers tank. Primary tanks are the other two. Some air loss after sitting could be numerous things. Unless its not a massive air loss in like 3 to 5 mins of sitting do not go chasing a potential bag of worms.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would you consider acceptable pressure loss in relationship to time with truck not running?

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
about 35 to 40 pounds before changing the dryer after changing the dryer I lose more like 70 on the primary side only although I did find a leak that I tightened up, I have to test again.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
about 35 to 40 pounds before changing the dryer after changing the dryer I lose more like 70 on the primary side only although I did find a leak that I tightened up, I have to test again.
More than likely you have a cracked diaphragms on the spring side if yor primary drops more than 30psi in 10mins. If you secondary is bleeding off and u hear no leak in the cab then the Q2 is leaking on the check ball seal and its leaking out the intake.

Ford Mechanic

More than likely you have a cracked diaphragms on the spring side if yor primary drops more than 30psi in 10mins. If you secondary is bleeding off and u hear no leak in the cab then the Q2 is leaking on the check ball seal and its leaking out the intake.

Good info there!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Also air loss described was overnight not in that short of period
That is good tho. Also good to drain your tanks overnight and leave the valves open. Takes someone longer to steal it.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I usually do drain tanks every night except occasionally l don't to see how good of a air seal I have.

You also described Q2 what exactly does that refer to?

Ford Mechanic

I need a good couple day class on air brake theory and operation myself.

40 psi overnight is nothing I'd worry about. That's normal for most air brake trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks