• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 based het?

DrNefarious

Well as i may have eluded in some previous posts, I have been trying to get a m1070 acquired before the fall rally. Well, it seems as if I have ran out of luck finding any reasonably priced so I have been forced to find my kicks elsewhere. I have been chewing on the Idea of taking my 92 M923a2 and creating my own het. The challenge I face is not so much the cost but my inability to do the work due to a nasty back injury from my last job as well as my lack of the proper equipment to perform the task. My questions to you fellow ohio green metal lovers is whom would you recommend or whom of you might be able to assist me in this build? I've obtained a few quotes from some vendors that are and are not on the SS website and they all have been unbelieveably high, we are talking buying a hemtt on the civilian market high for just some basic changes. To properly outline what my ideas are, I wanted to crew cab out or (to borrow from son's design) attach a maintenence or ambulance body to the back of my cab. The next idea was to stretch the frame to accommodate the cab modifications and to possibly add a third steer axle behind the tandems (how the suspension setup would be I have not solidified yet but I picture a single sided for of the 3 link the the tandems use). This axle (powered ofcourse) would allow a better distribution of weight for another one of my ideas that will come down the road. Next would be a slight modification of the air cleaner assembly (which I can do myself). But other then the cab and axle, everything else is simple (and light enough) that I can handle it on my own. To put it into a mental image, picture a hybrid between a m1070, soni's amazing looking m920, and a m939 series truck. So comments, suggestions, ideas? And no bashing yes I know it's unorthodox but it's how I am, but do chime in experts please!:popcorn:

We need to talk, shoot me an email @ CBRMetalworks@gmail.com (easier to keep track of emails than PM's. In my opinion you would be better off starting with a long wheelbase frame than trying to stretch the original frame. I have a long wheelbase truck I am parting out, but the labor to swap everything from one truck to another would add quite a bit (would really only have to swap engine unless you would be OK with a NHC250). Axles would have to be swapped if you can't live without the leaky CTIS.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
HETT's sold for 11K a few weeks ago at Benning. How cheap do you think they will go? If I had known they were going to sell that cheap I'd have gotten a letter of credit from my bank and bought one. IMHO you will spend 15K or better on what you are thinking about if you are going to have a third axle on the back that steers. Large scale fab work will eat your lunch.

DrNefarious

11k seriously? God I keep missing them. I'm still in the planning phase. But my fear is they won't be around come July ish when I'm looking to buy (I'd buy sooner but it's a long story) and yeah I kno......it always eats money. But I'm just trying to find the best compromise for what I can afford.

jesusgatos

One of the HET's in Fontana went for $8800 last week! But then I read on here something about GL canceling all those sales? Think a cab-forward 5-ton would be rad and if I could score a good deal on a cab, I'd do it to one of my trucks. Would rather have something like that than an HET. Would be much more useful (to me).

DrNefarious

Heh that would be awesome! But, we will be moving back to Columbus Ohio at the beginning of May when my wife graduates. If someone is local to there that would help!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks