• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 cab armor kit

Tornadogt

I am saving ALL of these photos..

For me I am wanting to do more of a Tribute Inprovised Convoy Protection "Gun truck", so i am leaning more to stuff like this:
IMG_0006.jpgm923 20.jpgm932.jpgIMG_0486.jpgIMG_0482.jpg

Like CMS Davis said a little from here and a little from there to make MY perfect truck. I don't plan on ever being shot at, it is for Shows, Parades, Displays, and personal use and enjoyment.. . But it doesn't hurt to have it in the back yard just encase it is needed.

datadawg

For me it is the collection aspect and use as a armored vehicle for emergency operations.
Well, the biggest issue I see with functionality as armor in emergency (I'm not talking running down zombies, but if people are shooting at you), is the unprotected radiator. Armored vehicles have the engine bay enclosed and Half Tracks for example had movable armored louvers so you can keep close them when SHTF. Sure, kids will think it's cool and you will think you are invincible, but in a real bad situation, you will not be protected.

The flip side, is that we're talking low probability events here, so protection against warlike condition may be overkill.

For anyone interested, one of the best approaches to usable family armor is the British Saracen. It's a 6 WD, 4 wheel steer SUV from late 50's, uses a Rolls Royce engine and can hold 10 people in the bay. Comes with a turret that can fit a 30 cal. Browning. If you are super paranoid, that's the way to go!

They are not expensive, but probably no more than a couple dozen here. And most of them need work!

Andrmorr

I am saving ALL of these photos..

For me I am wanting to do more of a Tribute Inprovised Convoy Protection "Gun truck", so i am leaning more to stuff like this:
View attachment 544628View attachment 544629View attachment 544631View attachment 544633View attachment 544634

I don't plan on ever being shot at, it is for Shows, Parades, Displays, and personal use and enjoyment..
For show purposes you could use Aluminum plate for the armor which would have the look of the armor without the weight...

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Parts of the real kit was ballistic aluminum armor, seats,923ar8.jpg windshield frames, armo 004.jpg doors armor 011.jpg and floor armor 016.jpg .

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Well, the biggest issue I see with functionality as armor in emergency (I'm not talking running down zombies, but if people are shooting at you), is the unprotected radiator. Armored vehicles have the engine bay enclosed and Half Tracks for example had movable armored louvers so you can keep close them when SHTF. Sure, kids will think it's cool and you will think you are invincible, but in a real bad situation, you will not be protected.
Okay this is not to take the place of a tank. It is to protect the passengers and get out of the fire fight, if your truck gets hit it won't over heat for a while allowing you to get out of harm's way for my purposes it is not a bug out truck, this will protect me in a post Katrina type situation and if I lose my radiator or whole truck so be it I will walk away unharmed.

The flip side, is that we're talking low probability events here, so protection against warlike condition may be overkill.
But I am a MP and civilian LEO so using my truck will be in a increased probability of indirect or direct fire. Case and point in the aftermath of Katrina pulling up to a group of armed civilians in a unarmored truck is not a good feeling, most were peaceful folks guarding what was left of their life but some were not and we were lucky none of us were harmed. So yeah mine will be driven into harm's way at some point.

For anyone interested, one of the best approaches to usable family armor is the British Saracen. It's a 6 WD, 4 wheel steer SUV from late 50's, uses a Rolls Royce engine and can hold 10 people in the bay. Comes with a turret that can fit a 30 cal. Browning. If you are super paranoid, that's the way to go!
They are not expensive, but probably no more than a couple dozen here. And most of them need work!
Would love one but doubt I have the funds for one.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While there are some knowledgeable folks on the subject gathered here and it seems to only deal with armored M939 trucks, I'll pose this question...

The picture below, along with only a few others I can find, has a truck with a bolt on bumper mounted to it. The few pictures I can find have been recycled over and over across the internet but there is little information on the bumper.

Was the bumper part of an issued armor kit or was it custom?

m923 20.jpg

Tornadogt

While there are some knowledgeable folks on the subject gathered here and it seems to only deal with armored M939 trucks, I'll pose this question...

The picture below, along with only a few others I can find, has a truck with a bolt on bumper mounted to it. The few pictures I can find have been recycled over and over across the internet but there is little information on the bumper.

Was the bumper part of an issued armor kit or was it custom?

View attachment 544789
this was an unit built bumper.. There is a scale model built from this truck "Hillbilly M923" Google Search it... it is hard get real photos but plenty of Model photos of this rig.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay guys. Tread very lightly with all the Zombie/SHTF posts (don't do it) or this entire thread goes away and some of you will get a free vacation.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay guys. Tread very lightly with all the Zombie/SHTF posts (don't do it) or this entire thread goes away and some of you will get a free vacation.
The only thing I was after with the bumper was keeping the trees from hitting the fan...just trees, lol.

This was a bumper I had made for my Non-MV '85 Silverado before I even saw this truck. Still got the bumper but sold the truck. See the resemblance and why I like that bumper. That bumper has blazed many a new trail in its life.

IMG_2017.jpg

Just figured I'd elaborate on why I joined in...

Last edited:

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some folks put MRAP RG31 or RG33 bumpers and grills on the front. Great for winch mounts and also if you are using the truck in the timber business it gives you better radiator protection from tree limbs. I put an armored steel pate in front of and under my 60/40 proportioning valve to protect it in case I hit a stump. Now as cool as an armored cab would be, I would make a bigger cab and improve the cab mounts! Might as well be comfortable and have more inside storage space. I have seen some really cool jump seat cabs where the cab was extended to the bed. Just move the spare inside the cargo bed.

74M35A2

If you want it to be authentic, use BBQ grill covers, sewer lids, and the like. That is what was done at first when troops were being hit and this was not being addressed initially or as it was being developed. As says the employee sitting next to me which experienced part of it on 2 tours.

Csm Davis

Some folks put MRAP RG31 or RG33 bumpers and grills on the front. Great for winch mounts and also if you are using the truck in the timber business it gives you better radiator protection from tree limbs. I put an armored steel pate in front of and under my 60/40 proportioning valve to protect it in case I hit a stump. Now as cool as an armored cab would be, I would make a bigger cab and improve the cab mounts! Might as well be comfortable and have more inside storage space. I have seen some really cool jump seat cabs where the cab was extended to the bed. Just move the spare inside the cargo bed.
The armored cabs had different cab mounts.

fiero11

Love the idea; I want to have custom plates made for my doors, since they are the most exposed. Just keep in mind you will need something like an AR-500 grade plate. Mild steel can be punched through by most ammunition like butter.

red

If you want it to be authentic, use BBQ grill covers, sewer lids, and the like. That is what was done at first when troops were being hit and this was not being addressed initially or as it was being developed. As says the employee sitting next to me which experienced part of it on 2 tours.
Can't forget the sandbags on the floor and hanging personnel body armor on the doors.

Csm Davis

can you buy this stuff? Can you purchase armored doors and such? The scrap has to go somewhere, right?
Not really a few were let out but most were sent to the steel mill and recycled. If you really want to build M939A2P I would start with a Franken cab truck as the base truck because it has most of the parts you need, AC, Air ride seats, center console for the gunner, reinforced body mounts, and other small things done that will save you money and time.

sent from my decrepit fingers

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the doors the same from the 809 series as the 939. I have that right side door armor that hangs off the door of my 809 and could care less what happens to it. I still can't not do much but if someone wants it come get it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks