• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 CTIS Reprogram, Anybody Done It?

74M35A2

You are still first (second really) on a list of 3 people long so far. Stay tuned, you will know when I have it operational, which should be as soon as the comm adapter arrives. Now I know why I build stuff, so I don't have to keep waiting. Ugh.

74M35A2

RP1210a adapter arrived. This is the $700 component of this equation. Now have everything to attempt a CTIS interface, and it should work. I just need to get to work soldering up a zillion wires.

Nexiq.jpg

Last edited:

74M35A2

I must really love you guys. This is nuts. 60 closely spaced solder connections. Ugh! OK, half way done so far, one end of harness soldered up with 26 connections, and 9 pin heavy truck OBD diagnostic port mounted. Don't stay up late hoping for a success story. Not sure I will make it that far, need to decorate the tree we just cut with my kids and mom broke her foot.

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

9p.jpg

brakejay

If you have the patience for that connector and the ability to bend the frame rail on your trailer you can tackle just about anything. Keep up the good work.

74M35A2

Not so fast. I have not accomplished anything yet besides to spend money, cut myself, and make a mess. If by some remote chance I do get this to work, I'll bring it to the next MI eat and meet, if anybody has CTIS. Sorry I missed the one this month, I was busy soldering these £%#< connectors!

74M35A2

This post brings bad news. It is 3am right now, I completed the adapter harness, but the Dana CTIS diagnostic program is unable to communicate with the CTIS module. Even though the communication pins are in the module connector, there is likely no communication transponder within the CTIS, hence why there are no pins or diagnostic port on the vehicles to do so. Adapter harness is correct because my CTIS module powers up and works with the adapter plugged in. Also the communications adapter powers up. I will call the spicer tech guy tomorrow, but he sounds like his age is less than that of my 925A2, so these may be modules he has no knowledge or experience with.

Sorry to disappoint guys, I tried.

WSm925a2

Crap, this is terrible news.. Disappointing. I found one possible problem with my ctis, front driver side wheel valve is cracked at bottom of threads that holds the air tube from hub...new valve is coming today, hope this solves my problem... I doubt I'll be so lucky though... So hard to hear these air leaks with truck running!

WSm925a2

One thing I noticed about my ctis, it seems like it'll air down (deflate) without a problem. My problem comes when I try to air back up to a pressure above I. E. Going from sand to highway, my system shuts off (5 flashing lights) before it hits highway pressure. When it shuts off, all of my tires are at the same pressure, just not the right pressure.

The HUlk

This post brings bad news. It is 3am right now, I completed the adapter harness, but the Dana CTIS diagnostic program is unable to communicate with the CTIS module. Even though the communication pins are in the module connector, there is likely no communication transponder within the CTIS, hence why there are no pins or diagnostic port on the vehicles to do so. Adapter harness is correct because my CTIS module powers up and works with the adapter plugged in. Also the communications adapter powers up. I will call the spicer tech guy tomorrow, but he sounds like his age is less than that of my 925A2, so these may be modules he has no knowledge or experience with.

Sorry to disappoint guys, I tried.
Perhaps a newer CTIS module that has communications capability could be used in place of the original?

WSm925a2

So, I replaced a front wheel valve that was cracked.. This is the first time I ever had a solid highway light on the ECU! What are the pressures supposed to be, it aired me up to 90psi in highway mode.?.?.?

Plugugly

So, I replaced a front wheel valve that was cracked.. This is the first time I ever had a solid highway light on the ECU! What are the pressures supposed to be, it aired me up to 90psi in highway mode.?.?.?
There is plenty of info on the board about trouble shooting the CTIS system in other threads. The OP of this thread specifically asked that this thread not be used to diagnose CTIS problems, so you should look in those other threads. If you can't get your answers from searching, ask your question in one of those threads.

Good luck.

WSm925a2

So, according to dana/Spicer trouble shooting manual you are telling me you can't communicate with the system at all? I would assume there is a female plug to read ctis ECU then a separate plug to plug into the female vehicle bung... I was thinking that the dana/Spicer program would run the ctis as if the laptop is the ECU so you can see what the system is doing? I didn't think you would hook them up simultaneously but do the ECU, then read vehicle... Just a thought??

74M35A2

Correct, you can't communicate with it. Or, at least I could not with mine, and I gave it a full fledged effort. There is a disclaimer in the Spicer/Dana diag manual, on the M939 series wiring diagram page, that specifically says the diagnostic communication lines may not be present on all vehicles. Well, I am not sure, but that could go as far as to cover all M939's. Because those connector pins were present in my CTIS module, I had hoped they just left the wires out of the vehicle side harness for cost save. So, I re-added those, bought the specified communication adapter, and initiated the software. The software communicated with the adapter just fine, but the CTIS module would not communicate. The harness I made was correct because my CTIS works perfectly with the harness installed.

As silly as this is to say, I have never checked the military TM of CTIS diagnostics. But, I am betting it to say nothing about use of a diag scanner, because I don't think it is possible. It is probably just hardware checks like solenoid resistance and mechanical air leaks, etc....

The M939 series does not have any CTIS diagnostic connector. It could have, but was not featured.

I will call the Dana CTIS support guy again on Monday, but after all of this, I am sure he is going to say "Yeah, you can't communicate with the modules used in the older 5 ton trucks, they were one-time programmed and put into use.". He sounds like he is 25 years old, so I am going to guess that he only has knowledge of current product, and not sure how far he will stretch to help non-current customers of their product. I will also offer to send him my module and a $20 lunch card to see if anything he has can communicate with it, to see if I missed something in my setup. Anything is possible.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks