• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m939 essential spare parts

clydizzel

What spare parts do you guys find essential to have on hand at all times? Does anybody keep a list of what they feel they need on hand to stay running? Can anyone here help compile one. The reason i ask is i have an m923a2 and i use it for work and i live in the middle of no where so if i were to break down i have no other truck that can do the job im using it for. So i decided i should keep some spare parts on hand but i wasnt sure where to start so i decided to ask the experts. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

R Racing

Black box ! fan belts. Shutter stat. air governer. Spare head gasket for air compressor. Spare fuel filter. Spare fuel suction hose from tank to filter. Headlights. Tail light bulbs. ect ect.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's best to just have a spare junk truck. You'll have a 1 to 1 match for parts and they'll be in the exact same place so you can't lose them! :beer:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An air hose that will reach anywhere on the truck...plus about 10ft. You will find uses for way more than just breakdowns and tires. I realize you have CTIS but what if it stops working.

Printouts of the TMs or a device that has them downloaded so no internet or network connection is required to use them.

A hammer. You'll he surprised what you can fix with this...seriously.

Caging bolts for the spring brake cans. Check to make sure they are there, can be removed from their holder and are in usable condition.

Just a few off the top of my head...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wheel bearings and U-joints.

Edit, its an air brake truck, so your gonna want spare air line and fittings!

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

A 20' roll of 1/2" fuel hose and a box o hose clamps to match. A 30' roll of 3/8" dot air line, and the brass fittings to go with. Fuel filters.... Always fuel filters.
And at least one gasket for between the turbo and exhaust manifold.

Last edited:

lindsey97

smith&wesson 44 mag with 100 round of ammo.
cell phone and charger
roll of $100 bills
good pair of shoes and socks
rebuilt alternator or starter, removed from a salvage truck.
grease gun
tools and more tools
air governor
sticks of various size radiator hoses found on the truck
boost couplings. (8.3l)
relays or fuses
small box of electrical ends, and few rolls of various size wire.
tackle box filled with brass ferrules, fittings and 20' of 1/4" thru 1/2" airline
10 lb fire extinguisher
gallon of oil, gallon of antifreeze
empty clean durable gallon jug to dip water out of pond or creek
Joe's hand cleaner
rags
brake cleaner
methanol
change of clothes, perferrably torn up ones to grease monkey in while in middle of nowhere
50' air hose with glad hand, tire guage, and air chuck, also have blowing chuck to clean air filter or parts
New PCB box
volt meter
IR thermometer to check operating temps and wheel bearing/gearbox temps
Run all LED lights to avoid having to carry fragile bulbs
20 ton bottle jack
jack handle
good flat board to go under jack
(2) 20' chains
slave cable or heavy duty jumper cables
spare filters and fan belts

Last edited:

99nouns

smith&wesson 44 mag with 100 round of ammo.
cell phone and charger
roll of $100 bills
good pair of shoes and socks
rebuilt alternator or starter, removed from a salvage truck.
grease gun
tools and more tools
air governor
sticks of various size radiator hoses found on the truck
boost couplings. (8.3l)
relays or fuses
small box of electrical ends, and few rolls of various size wire.
tackle box filled with brass ferrules, fittings and 20' of 1/4" thru 1/2" airline
10 lb fire extinguisher
gallon of oil, gallon of antifreeze
empty clean durable gallon jug to dip water out of pond or creek
Joe's hand cleaner
rags
brake cleaner
methanol
change of clothes, perferrably torn up ones to grease monkey in while in middle of nowhere
50' air hose with glad hand, tire guage, and air chuck, also have blowing chuck to clean air filter or parts
New PCB box
volt meter
IR thermometer to check operating temps and wheel bearing/gearbox temps
Run all LED lights to avoid having to carry fragile bulbs
20 ton bottle jack
jack handle
good flat board to go under jack
(2) 20' chains
slave cable or heavy duty jumper cables
Thats only if you are from Oklahoma, you can also lay under your truck in case of tornado, it cant lift it.

lindsey97

Yes to the enslavement. But my experience shows that most of young maidens that I cross paths with while broken down in my dump truck in the middle of BFE, you most likely won't care to enslave them.

74M35A2

After all that, the only "spare" items I run in my truck is a can of ether and a few zip ties. Only thing that has even remotely acted suspicious in the 1 year and 4000 miles so far is the fuel shut off solenoid, and the zip ties can hold that in the run position. You guys had some good ideas. 6CTA8.3 for the win!

Csm Davis

Like was said 2 spare trucks, but the stock BII is what should be carried and then maybe a few other pieces. I recommend that you use some improved bits of BII like make a gladhand adapter and use 1/2" or larger air hose so you can run a bigger impact and get an air chuck that has the rings cut on the inside of the chuck so it can be hooked up and left to air up those 14.00 tires without cramping your hands and also a air over hydraulic bottle jack and a good air gage, a good valve core tool with a 1/4" drive deep well socket and driver to fit inside you wheels on the front axle with them on the truck, then you know that you can get at any valve core on the truck. You will also need a set of tools to remove the CTIS parts on the wheels so you can change a wheel and tire. I carry 6 extra valve cores in case the CTIS fails. 3/4" straight handle ratcheting box end wrench for the brake cage bolts. A pair of locking pliers to close off a busted airline that I might not need right now. A paper copy of the -10 TM and so many other things but this is like bare minimum to go to the corner store.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks