• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Frames...

71DeuceAK

So, as I understand it, the early M939s (at least the M923/M925) were built on old M813 frames (M809 series). I assume this held true for the other variants as well.

Question- When did this stop? When were new, purpose-built frames used instead?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did this info come from? It is typically twice the work to disassemble an old truck, blast and paint the frame, as it is to just form new rails from shiny new steel.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By "stocks", that article is referring to baskets full of crossmembers, air tanks, tail lamps, etc, that are shared between the trucks. The frame is not the same.

Csm Davis

By "stocks", that article is referring to baskets full of crossmembers, air tanks, tail lamps, etc, that are shared between the trucks. The frame is not the same.
Not saying that you are wrong but how are the frame rails different from the 809 to the 939 series?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

74M35A2

Same as I was wondering, besides the holes drilled into them..... Isn't it just straight C channel set apart a standard width?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The holes drilled is what makes them non-interchangeable without of course drilling more holes. During frame rail manufacture, these holes are easily placed with punches (old) or plasma cutters (new). Adding holes later with mag drills is a pain in a manufacturing environment. With certainty, the holes that receive the front winch frame extensions are different between the two generations.

162tcat

Just out of curiosity, why does it even matter? The frame is the same basic design on all 3 series so I don't see how it would matter at all other than the additional work to mod it for the next generation.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Csm Davis

Okay so here's the thing going from the M39 series to M809 there was a frame length change up front because of the longer engine the 855 is longer than anything else used in the 5 tons I believe. Going from M809 series to M939 series the engine stayed put but the cab was raised and rear transmission mount added. The front hood mount and radiator mount are different, so all of these crossmembers are different and may be located slightly different from the M809 series.
To answer the OP's question I would think that once they figured out tearing down a complete truck cutting off the old crossmembers and drilling in a dozen or so holes to move things was costing more money than just new production was when they quit. They would have had a contract for doing a few to check fit and cost, probably 10 or less. In 2010 this would have cost around $150,000 or more so even in 1980's dollars it didn't make sense.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks