• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Front Axle Shaft Hi-Tech

99nouns

Hello all,

I was fooling around GL and saw the following, previously I did a complete tear down knuckle boot job on my 927 and the front axle shaft that I had was with u-joint and when I saw this I was like wow, that's some hi tech u-joint, I wonder what the mechanics of that or how it works.
Is it actually dust/sand proof, like you would never need a Knuckle boot ever again?

M939 Axle Shaft02.jpgM939 Axle Shaft01.jpg

And the ones I had was like this

IMG_1022[1].jpgIMG_1021[1].jpg

Sorry mines are not very good pictures, I covered it so it wont pickup dust and forgot to snap a pic when bag was off.
But it did look just like a u-joint on a driveshaft.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It looks like the open part with the long shaft would be where the boot would go and the shorter shaft drives the hub. I could be wrong though.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a constant velocity (CV) joint like what is on modern front-wheel drive cars and 4x4s with independent front suspension. It definitely needs a boot, more so than a U-joint.

Blarsen

It is called a birfield Joint, it is what Toyota uses in the straight axle Land Cruisers, it requires the knuckle to be filled with grease and they also have a wiper seal like a 5 ton.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks