• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939, no spring (parking) brakes

rickyrecon

The park brake lever has no tension on it and nothing happens at all when it is moved.

I use the override on the dash - otherwise the truck doesn't get above 20 mph. with the override on, I can get to 55mph... my thought was brakes were locked up.

I don't know what caged brakes look like - but will google it.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The override on the dash sends pressurized air to the emergency circuit and releases the springbrakes. Evidently yours aren't caged. I sent you some pics of caged brakes.

The park brake dump valve needs a look....

Not to be alarmist, but your truck really isn't safe to operate at this point.

Ford Mechanic

Wish you were closer or I'd come help, but at 5 1/2 hrs it's too far for me. I agree with 98G really not safe to drive on the road at this point. Have you brushed up on the operators manual? Lots of good stuff in there, I find something new everytime I re read a part of it.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The park brake lever has no tension on it and nothing happens at all when it is moved.

I use the override on the dash - otherwise the truck doesn't get above 20 mph. with the override on, I can get to 55mph... my thought was brakes were locked up.

I don't know what caged brakes look like - but will google it.
The parking brake handle works two different brake systems, the mechanical driveline brake which is cable operated and the spring brakes which are air operated.

If there is no tension on the handle then there is an issue with the driveline brake. The cable could be broken or have too much slack, the pads could be worn, the return spring could be broken or various other things. 95% of the tension on the handle is from the return spring and cable on the driveline brake. The rest is from the little spring on the spring brake actuator which most likely wouldn't be felt. Try tightening the knob on the end of the parking brake handle to see if you get any tension.

If the override button on the dash is applying and releasing your spring brakes I would suspect, as did 98G, that the actuator on the parking brake handle is the problem. You are trying to apply the spring brakes with the override button pulled out, correct? If it is pushed the parking brake handle will not apply the spring brakes.

I also agree, you need to sort this out before you put it on the road again. The override button on the dash is only used for testing. It is not used during normal operation. Push in the override button to independently test the driveline brake using the parking brake handle. Pull out the override button and raise the wheel on the spring brake actuator to independently test the spring brakes, without using the parking brake handle.

rickyrecon

Appreciate the note from you and everyone else - have learned a lot just reading the manuals and online topics. Semper Fi, Rich

rickyrecon

Not sure how the damage occurred but I ended up buying used parts from Eastern Surplus and finished the job today. Everything works great --- really thrilled to be back on the road. Thanks again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks