• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Potential Junkyard Rescue Need Advice

71DeuceAK

Latest funny twist of fate:

I was on the way to the doctor this morning (a referral, so a part of town I don't usually go). Spotted a M939 series cargo of some type at what I later figured out was the local franchise of a particular popular chain "pull-your-parts-off" junkyard; visible from the street. Called the place later in the day, talked to a lady; apparently they don't usually sell vehicles whole (more profitable to part them out) but she did say talk to the manager in person, which I intend on doing in the near future; late this week or next week or whenever I'm not buried in 17 credits' worth of homework.

I figure if they will indeed sell it to me it'll either be for extremely cheap (mind you, I looked on Google street view and it wasn't there in 2011, but still it looks to have been there a good while) or they'll want an arm and a leg; either they'll want it gone or will want quite a bit for it.

Assuming it's complete and maybe even was driven in under its own power (it had a license plate so it's clearly been civillian owned) and is there potentially since somebody just didn't want it, and not a hole in the block or a broken axle or something similar, what would you all suggest I look for, be prepared to fix, or RUN from as fast as I can? I don't expect it to run and drive; needs batteries at a minimum I figure, and/or drained of fluids. Assuming this, what might it take to get it towed out of there, especially if things have been drained? (lots of unknowns so far, I can't even tell if it's a 923 or 925 from just driving by on the metro bus). What would you expect in order to make it start and run, at some time in the future, on a storage lot, with fresh batteries, besides money and patience?

It may be a basket case, but it's local, which would be a plus- either pay shipping/fuel for a nice one, or some sweat equity to make a not so nice one run and drive...it looked fairly rust free from the outside.

Mind you, I'm a full time student who is pretty broke, so if it happens it would be sitting and would be worked on as time and monies allowed, as well as weather (trying to get it running in -20*F in Fairbanks, Alaska during the semester is simply NOT happening).

Thoughts? Other than that it's a potential serious lemon and money pit?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering what junkers are selling for at auction these days, if you can get it for what you can afford......Do It!!!

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be best to hold any and all speculations until you know what it is. There will be no real useful advice here until an accurate report of 1) current condition and 2) how much they are asking. Once you know those two things report back. Good luck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If we have any scrappers here, no offense meant with my statement.
I find that junkyard operators are a fickle portion of society. If what they feel they have is gold, they would rather melt if than give you a fair price. Most that I've dealt with figure that if you asked, you need it and therefore it is gold. Just remember that it's still 20,000# at the shredder.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 2cents + tax: walk away. Don't waste your time, effort, or energy trying to rescue a green machine from a scrapper. Doing so is like trying to pry a tasty bone away from a rabid dog. Save up your pennies for a nice truck that won't burn a hole in your wallet.

I believe it's better to buy a small MV first. Big trucks cost big bucks to fix when you don't have the space, tools, or expertise to repair them. CUCVs are relatively easy to locate parts. The 6.2 L engines can last a long time if you take care of them and don't beat the snot out of them. It's a lot easier to park a CUCV vs a 5 ton. Tires are cheaper and readily available at the local tire shop. A standard flatbed tow truck can easily haul a CUCV. Towing a 5 ton is not cheap. I could go on, but you get the message.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I misread your post earlier.
I thought you already had a 5 ton and were looking for a parts truck.

I agree with ODFever.
Would not get a 5 ton from a junkyard, with the intention of making it a driver, unless you had seriously deep pockets.
5 tons are fairly expensive to own and operate
Pics would help as we are only guessing now on what your looking at.

A CUCV is definitely cheaper to buy and operate.
Much easier to drive and park, but it’s a completely different animal from a M939 series truck.

I have both and drive my CUCV everyday. Love it.
Haven't driven my 5 ton in weeks.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I misread your post earlier.
I thought you already had a 5 ton and were looking for a parts truck.

I agree with ODFever.
Would not get a 5 ton from a junkyard, with the intention of making it a driver, unless you had seriously deep pockets.
5 tons are fairly expensive to own and operate
Pics would help as we are only guessing now on what your looking at.

A CUCV is definitely cheaper to buy and operate.
Much easier to drive and park, but it’s a completely different animal from a M939 series truck.

I have both and drive my CUCV everyday. Love it.
Haven't driven my 5 ton in weeks.
Thought that myself , it seemed one of his other threads he had bought one in california and was having it shipped or something like that.

tobyS

Cherry pick it and offer low-ball pricing. Buy the stuff like a hard top (really light weight), good tires, engine that you could turn over for a profit (flip and learn) or save for when you have a project truck. FINISH SCHOOL before getting tied down with any of these money pits.

74M35A2

Value of these trucks is going up for now. If you had a way to get it home, store it, work on it, and used parts access at a reasonable cost, then you could do OK. Assume engine would be $3,000 if 8.3L and needed replaced (rare but happens). Considering aforementioned, pull the engine oil dipstick then make a decision. I can usually get what I want by offering to buy at scrap value plus $100 bill to the guy as grease.

I think you looked at one other like this a long while back, considering to daily driver it?

Csm Davis

Big thing to look at here is it is in Alaska, that alone makes it worth 2-3k more than one in the lower 48. Ask just because it could be a good deal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

71DeuceAK

Someone mentioned 20,000 lbs at the shredder. One interesting environmental factor in my area is that there is no place around here that cashes out for steel (stainless, copper, etc yes, but not steel). Hence the back roads are littered with project cars and the pull-your-parts-and-we-keep-the-frame-forever junk yards make a killing around here. Fairbanks, Alaska is generally full of older cars I've noticed.

So I don't know if scrap necessarily has the same value here, if it hasn't moved in years there _is_ a chance they would love to get something for it and see it disappear. I'm going to kindly point out that these trucks aren't very uncommon around here, and the parts would likely never sell.

Overall, again no insult intended to anyone who does it for a living or runs a salvage yard, but I personally think scrappers can be extremely greedy at times and couldn't care less about torching history and crushing vintage cars. Can't save em all, but I've noted a mentality of either wanting its weight in gold or torching it and sending it to the shredder at scrap price...

This place isn't a total scrap yard, but it would still eventually die there I bet.

red

For scrap stuff steel is higher right now than it was a few weeks ago so keep that in mind. The manual outriggers that I pulled from the m816 for example, had them listed at $10 each. At the scrap yard for just the 4 of them I was paid a little over $50.

71DeuceAK

One piece of good news (maybe the cards are in my favor?):

Had some downtime this afternoon between homework assignments I can't complete yet (assignments not open, technical issues) so I at least got to call just about every storage yard in the Fairbanks-North Pole area. Found one I can park it in for $100/month in North Pole, so not far away from here...maybe about 5 miles from where I'm typing this. So I can at least park it there and work on it (I checked on that).

Hooray!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One piece of good news (maybe the cards are in my favor?):

Had some downtime this afternoon between homework assignments I can't complete yet (assignments not open, technical issues) so I at least got to call just about every storage yard in the Fairbanks-North Pole area. Found one I can park it in for $100/month in North Pole, so not far away from here...maybe about 5 miles from where I'm typing this. So I can at least park it there and work on it (I checked on that).

Hooray!
How long do you figure it will be stored ?
$1,200 a year is going get expensive . That's what my payments were when I bought my hunting property here with $500 down.

71DeuceAK

Frankly, it could be awhile! That said I may try to also somehow store some of my other junk in the truck, thereby eliminating the other $50/month mini storage unit I have.

BenRoberts

Certified insane
Unless this truck is the steal of the century then I'd get through school then look into getting a truck. I love my truck to death but issues crop up here and there and it can get expensive and the last thing you want is it distracting you from your education. If you are he// bent on getting it then best of luck to you and I hope it works out for the best they are a load of fun, 5 tons of fun!

tobyS

Imagine watching brand new MRAP's being destroyed and you can't even get one of the new tires or knuckle-boom cranes. New Cats just destroyed. No wonder we're in massive debt as a nation and it's getting worse.

My opinion, but you don't need an anchor that eats money. How much just to move it to storage?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks