• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 pto questions

5tonman1971

Ok so I serviced my m925a2 this weekend,

i rebuilt the air dryer
replaced the rubber fuel line from the tank hard line to the canister fuel filter that never got removed which I will be replacing with a fleet guard spin on filter.
changed the oil and filters
changed trans filter but not fluid it still looks really good.
Much to my surprise my CTIS WORKS FLAWLESSLY!!! Filled all 6 tires to 60-65 psi within 15 minutes of start up. AWESOME!

I still ill need to change the hydraulic fluid filter and side clearance bulb and a few dash warning bulbs and I am acquiring a fail safe monitor from patracy.

But anyway on to the main question.
I went to check the function of the winch and I seemed to be able to engage the pto but the wind lever seemed very stiff and did not want to move and the winch drum never moved. I also could not get the drum to free spool either. Do the hydraulic winches free spool? This is my first one but I think that they do per the -10. The hydraulic fluid level is in the except able range, per the -10, about 2 notches below the top of the red paint on the stick.

Could my wind lever just need adjustment or is the control valves possibly froze up?

So I crawled my happy self under the truck and noticed that the drive shaft to the hydraulic pump was spinning due to the fresh grease splattered on the frame rail. It seems the pto output shaft seal is leaking and seems to have been for awhile half the drive shaft is covered in grease and my u joints are just packed with grease in,on, and around them.

does anyone know where I can acquire the U-joints and the pto output shaft seal?

Last edited:

Hawssie

As far as the winch control lever(in the cab) goes, it should move freely back and forth under any and all conditions as it is simply a push pull cable that connects to the hydraulic valve. The resistance that normally causes the hand lever to center itself is in the hydraulic. Most likely the cable has rusted due to lack of movement/age. I had the same problem with the emergency cable on one of my trucks. When I got it the lever would pull up really easy, too easy. So when I went to adjust and nothing happened, I went under the truck I quickly realized the cable was so rusted it had broke. You can easily figure this out by just going under the truck on the passenger side about 1/3 back. You will see a bracket that the cable is connected to. On the end will be a yoke with a pin that connects to the hydraulic valve. Pull out the pin and from there,by trying to mofve the in cab lever again, you can determine whether the cable is not moving or if the valve is stuck.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the winch should free spool. It sounds like your winch is just stuck from sitting. The engagement lever is notorious for sticking if it hasn't been moved in a long time. Don't force it, you can twist or break the shaft. Have you checked the oil level of the winch?

5tonman1971

So your saying the wind/unwind lever should move freely no matter what? I will see if I can get the valve to move manually Nd work on freeing the cable.

Where re could I get a pto output shaft seal though?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the lever has pressure on it, it won't move. Is you cable wound tightly on the drum?

You should be able to get the PTO seal at NAPA. I don't know the number but the seal should have a number on it or you can measure the OD and ID to get the size.

5tonman1971

If the lever has pressure on it, it won't move. Is you cable wound tightly on the drum?

You should be able to get the PTO seal at NAPA. I don't know the number but the seal should have a number on it or you can measure the OD and ID to get the size.
Well I'm not sure how tight it's wound it's not pinched if that's what your asking. I think it just might be a bit rusted up from not being used I'll hook to another truck and give it a tug once I figure out my wind and unwind lever.

Cobra03

I know this a old post, but did anyone find out where to get the seal and ujoint? the Seal Number is Angus Gaco IN 51311. Im not coming up with anything on the Googles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks