• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Series 5 ton as Daily Driver?

tim292stro

My fuel tank sender float developed a crack in it, it is a brass float... ...Used a wine cork wire tied to the float arm as a temporary fix...
When you do your fix, cut open the float, clean it, and put a full cork inside it, then solder it shut (lower temperature than brazing/welding). Next time it develops a crack, the cork is already inside :beer: Should get much longer life out of it.

71DeuceAK

So at least now I won't have such a long drive. Still planning on getting one in a couple years as a daily driver. But for now since I'll be living on campus I think I'll do without a vehicle. I will, however, have another Steel Soldiers member as a roommate, who daily drove his M35A2 he used to have to and from high school at one point!

WYomer

I drive mine about 14 miles each way 2-3 times a week. I upgraded the seat shock from TMG and its fun for me.

WYomer

Yeah but this still isn't an air ride seat, correct? Is yours an A1 or an A2?
No stock seat good foam with the upgraded shock. And actually I bet I make 6 trips to town and back a week plus fishing trips. I'm in an A2
Doesn't bother my back. In the Army Id drive these things 100K each way when not on my tank. Those A1 seats with full battle rattle and crappy roads used to do a number on my back even at 19-25 years old.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
College roommates can either make or break your experience and your education. I had really bad roommates when I lived on campus. It was nearly impossible to get a full night's sleep. One or more would be up until 2-3 AM making noise, consuming mass quantities of adult beverages, and eating MY food out of the refrigerator. Thankfully I was able to switch dorms 3 weeks into the school year. My second stint led me to a room shared with a night owl. He spent most of his time at his girlfriend's place. When he stayed in the room, he was up most of the night doing homework. It kept me awake. Transferring out of that university was one of the best choices I made. I moved into an apartment with no roommates across the street from another university. Student loans helped cover living expenses.

One other sliver of advice (if you don't mind my rambling). I strongly recommend getting a job on campus, preferably in the department that you want to major in. I was able to get a job in the College of Business, and it helped me in so many ways.

You have chosen wisely, young Jedi, by postponing your MV purchase. For whatever it's worth, I AM VERY PROUD OF YOU!!! :) Your decisions show me that you are able to set short term and long term goals. You have a bright future ahead of you.

:goodjob:

So at least now I won't have such a long drive. Still planning on getting one in a couple years as a daily driver. But for now since I'll be living on campus I think I'll do without a vehicle. I will, however, have another Steel Soldiers member as a roommate, who daily drove his M35A2 he used to have to and from high school at one point!

Gunner0311

Stereo? The 923 series must be much more quiet than my 1968 M52A2 5-Ton. Mine is so loud you would need headphones to hear the radio! I had to retire after I got so sick in 2015, so no more driving to work every day, but I would take my 5-Ton on a regular basis if the drive was not very far; as my old girl only get about ten miles per gallon of diesel...:driver:

71DeuceAK

College roommates can either make or break your experience and your education. I had really bad roommates when I lived on campus. It was nearly impossible to get a full night's sleep. One or more would be up until 2-3 AM making noise, consuming mass quantities of adult beverages, and eating MY food out of the refrigerator. Thankfully I was able to switch dorms 3 weeks into the school year. My second stint led me to a room shared with a night owl. He spent most of his time at his girlfriend's place. When he stayed in the room, he was up most of the night doing homework. It kept me awake. Transferring out of that university was one of the best choices I made. I moved into an apartment with no roommates across the street from another university. Student loans helped cover living expenses.

One other sliver of advice (if you don't mind my rambling). I strongly recommend getting a job on campus, preferably in the department that you want to major in. I was able to get a job in the College of Business, and it helped me in so many ways.

You have chosen wisely, young Jedi, by postponing your MV purchase. For whatever it's worth, I AM VERY PROUD OF YOU!!! :) Your decisions show me that you are able to set short term and long term goals. You have a bright future ahead of you.

:goodjob:

I'm definitely planning on getting some sort of a job to help cover the little day-to-day expenses, and maybe help squirrel away a little bit of money for the proverbial rainy day later on. I also would like to do a time slot at one of the university radio stations, as long as it isn't at some ridiculously late-night hour.

I'm also planning on trying to get a piece of dirt, since I have money in a trust that until I'm of it's age of majority can't use for just anything, but real estate would be better than the stock market I would think. (where it is now). So in theory I could live off campus and thus get rid of the possibility of bad roommates LOL. (I'd definitely rather live off campus). One of the things that will definitely be on the house-hunting criteria will be space to park an M939, barring HOA issues of course. (thankfully, Fairbanks, AK, where I'll be, doesn't really have many of those neighborhoods, everything is multiple acres and secluded). But until then I plan to just go without a vehicle, thus eliminating costs from fuel, insurance, registration, maintenance, etc etc. I also need to go take some decent driver's-ed classes anyway. So I'm not in a massive hurry.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks