• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Series Air Brake Cage Bolts

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be one in the holder in each (spring) brake chamber. If they are missing you may want to get some. You never know when you may need to cage your brakes.

dezert ratt

i dont have a truck with air only brakes, and ive heard the term caging the brakes alot. what does it actually do? im guessing it releases the brakes? i know i should probably search it but i was just lookin for a quick answer to cure my curiosity. thanks

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
i dont have a truck with air only brakes, and ive heard the term caging the brakes alot. what does it actually do? im guessing it releases the brakes? i know i should probably search it but i was just lookin for a quick answer to cure my curiosity. thanks
It does in fact release the brakes so that the vehicle can be moved, towed or pushed/pulled onto a trailer if it won't build air.

If you cage the brakes you will have no stopping power.....if there is any incline at all you should have the vehicle chained or cabled to another vehicle or solid anchor to prevent it from getting away from you.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like I should replace mine, yours are a lot prettier than mine! My middle axle has parking brakes by Anchorlok, and I am short the two bolts for them, so off to the truck parts store for me, I hope they aren't some odd ball arrangement!

Attachments

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be one in the holder in each (spring) brake chamber. If they are missing you may want to get some. You never know when you may need to cage your brakes.

Depending on how well your truck was serviced caging them may or may not help either, as evidenced by our wonderful recovery of Sandflea's (Westech) 915. No amount of caging worked.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If you do not know the safe way to cage and and what to check for, HAVE SOMEONE SHOW YOU

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen bad things happen if the caged brake has brake air pressure applied (somebody pushes the brake pedal with air in the tanks with the bolts in). It can break the bolts and/or chamber and parts can go flying.

Craig A Tull

When you cage the brake chambers all you are doing is removing the park/fail safe operation of the chamber, if you have operating pressure for the system and the the system is otherwise working you would still have "service" brakes, the first picture shows the brakes in the "parking" off and "service" off (this would be as there was no air pressure in the system and the caging bolts are installed), the second shows it "parking" off and "service" applied third shows it in "park" or "fail" mode. hope this helps, Oh yes I almost forgot, I had a rusty chamber explode on me while installing a caging bolt, no air in the system, SO ALWAYS be careful not to position yourself directly behind the chamber and as stated above be aware that when you cage the brakes they will (or should) release and you can have a runaway truck/trailer on your hands.

Attachments

Last edited:

quickfarms

When caging a truck that gas sat the brake shoes can rust to the drum and you may need to tap the drum with a hammer.

I have found some caging bolts that use a 13/16" nut.

We do not use the caging bolts that are on the brake cans because the tend to be rusty and just a pain in the but. Always carry spares but the tow truck should have a bunch on it when they pick you up.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When you cage the brake chambers all you are doing is removing the park/fail safe operation of the chamber, if you have operating pressure for the system and the the system is otherwise working you would still have "service" brakes, the first picture shows the brakes in the "parking" off and "service" off (this would be as there was no air pressure in the system and the caging bolts are installed), the second shows it "parking" off and "service" applied third shows it in "park" or "fail" mode. hope this helps, Oh yes I almost forgot, I had a rusty chamber explode on me while installing a caging bolt, no air in the system, SO ALWAYS be careful not to position yourself directly behind the chamber and as stated above be aware that when you cage the brakes they will (or should) release and you can have a runaway truck/trailer on your hands.
The above is not always true, it depends on the type of system (where the spring brake is), some only release the spring brake, others will cause no brakes on the caged wheel

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The above is not always true, it depends on the type of system (where the spring brake is), some only release the spring brake, others will cause no brakes on the caged wheel
:ditto:

I've seen several chambers that when caged the service brakes won't work. You should still have front brakes though as I've never seen spring brakes on the front.

Csm Davis

Okay he specified the 939 so here's my two bits if the emergency brake is properly adjusted the manual part will still hold also the front brakes I know still function and 90% that the rears will also just without a spring safety.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks