• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 series power steering box leak

gottaluvit

I was lubing my truck to day and noticed a grease fitting on the bottom of the steering box by it's input shaft. The only leak this truck has is that seal where the steering shaft goes in the box. Figured maybe some lucas power steering sealant/revitalizer would go in when it needs added to. So I shot some grease in that fitting and it came out of the box where the shaft goes in.

Does grease being pumped into this fitting stop any leaks or is it a real bad sign I will have to rebuild the box since the grease came out? Is the box as easily rebuildable as it looks? Is there available rebuild kits or seals I need?

Any help appreciated,
Jim

bodoger

Grease is supposed to come out there but only give it a shot or two till it comes out otherwise you will just be wasting grease. That greases the Pittman shaft only a small amount is needed.

bodoger

There is another seal in side on the other end of the Pittman shaft that keeps the power steering fluid inside. The outer seal only keeps dirt and water out of the shaft and bearing the grease is the lubrication for the shaft.

bodoger

The outer seal could be changed on the truck but any thing more it would have to be removed. Parts should be available, maybe the other members could chime in about the parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks