• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Spare Tire Davit weight rating

CrimsonShadow

In the TM (B-8) it lists the weight capacity of the chain lift at 500lbs. Is it reasonable that the spare tire davit crane itself can lift and support that amount safely? I ask because I would ideally like to use it to hoist my motorcycle into the bed.

jdknech

is this a A0,A1, or A2 truck? if it is a A1 or A2 i would say you should be fine.. the 1400.20 tire with rim is pretty heavy.. it comes close to maxing the davit out.. so a smaller bike should be doable.. just my 2cents

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hoist and davit are rated as an assembly. 500# is the typical rating to be seen. There are appropriate design factors used, but I cannot endorse operating in the overload range. However it is safe to say using the unit to the full 500# is just fine. When we load test and certify these kinds of assemblies we are given the design factor and then we proof load within that number, OR, we load to failure and then determine the factor and the working load limits. Wow, what a long answer to say it will be ok.......

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't see that the tire/rim assembly is much less weight than the chainfall is rated for on the 939 series.

Last edited:

jasonjc

The only thing I see as a problem is the crane/davit does not swing. You lift the tire and side it stright back. You would have to make alot of mods to get it to pick up the bike and swing it into the back of the truck.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am also amazed the military chain fall has such a low rating when 1 or 2 ton ones can be found for the same $ or less on flea bay, china freight etc. I picked up a 2 ton on flea bay made in china for under $40 and it looks and feels as good as any I have seen. I would certainly trust it to lift a tire/rim.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am also amazed the military chain fall has such a low rating when 1 or 2 ton ones can be found for the same $ or less on flea bay, china freight etc. I picked up a 2 ton on flea bay made in china for under $40 and it looks and feels as good as any I have seen. I would certainly trust it to lift a tire/rim.
The problem IMO is the leverage on the extension shaft itself, it's sticking out what 4 ft? No different than using an M936 Boom at maximum length to lift another truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks