• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m939 stock rims

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the width of the stock 5 ton m923 rims? What is the biggest/widest tire that will mount safely for normal light duty use?

Will a Mich MPT 14.5R20 XL work on this rim?

Thanks for your help?

Juan

indy4x4fab

Banned
11.00-20 are as big as you can run in a daul set up. Rim is 10'' wide, and in single form I would say maybe a 395/85r20 would be the biggest I would go on the stock rims. But I'm not sure on how much the side wall would flex with 22,000lb on the tires compared to a deuce that weighs 12,000lb.

Safest way to go bigger is to simple convert over to combat rims, fmtv, or hemmet rims. Then you could go up to a 16r20 or up grade your m923 to m923a1 by running 14r20.

14.5r20 will more then likely need to be mounted on combat rims, fmtv, or hemmet rims, do to the back spacing, so the tire doesn't rub the steering ram or the steering arm.

spicergear

14.5R 20 is an MPT tire and typically calls for a different outer rim profile. My 931A2 has combats with 1400x 20's that seem to be a real good fit for the truck. They are however, 6" taller than the 14.5R 20's.

spicergear

MPT mean Multi Purpose Tire. They have a smaller bead seat lip on the side of the tire than almost all the other Michelin military tires...or Goodyears, etc. The A3 deuces had 14.5R20 on double beadlock wheels. People put 395 or other type tires on those wheels and seem to get away with it but they do have a lot less bead area then like a HEMTT wheel. Do a search on MPT and you'll find a lot of info.