• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Transfer case reseal

So I have googled and looked around and have not really found out how to do this. Story is my transfer case is leaking on my m925a1 in between the two halfs and it seems to be getting worse. I know in order to properly fix this I would need to drop the case and tear it apart and just reseal the entire thing. Although I am confident I can do it, is there anyone here that has done it before and could give a few tips or tricks on seperating the case and putting it back together succesfully.... I don't really want to install it and find out I put it together wrong and have to start all over again. Thanks in advance for any help!

tobyS

I did it to my 817, which is a bit different with the Sprag clutch, but I think the main case is about the same.

It's heavy....hope you have a truck transmission jack and note that the jack with the TC on it, does not fit to roll it out from under the truck. The front of the truck needs to be up a bit with very solid blocking. I think I needed about 8".

Keep notes and have a parts breakdown readily available. I misplaced a retaining ring and had to re-split it 3 times. Don't do that.

You will have to reset all three shaft pre-loads. I did mine by feel but there are sophisticated instructions that professionals follow. I prefer a light but firm pre-load so when it heats up from use, has room to expand without getting too tight. But I'm getting ahead.

I don't have experience with the section that shifts it in and out of front drive, mine had the over-run clutch. But I think most of it will be obvious. After the front engagement part is removed and the flanges pulled (mine slid off by hand), lay it on the side. Disassembly and reassembly are done that way.

Part of the fun is taking the old gasket off. Have a sharp tool. Keep all parts clean. Inspect the bearings and gears for wear after cleaning. Have new input and output seals ready. I doubt that you will find a pre-made case seal, but maybe you can. I used Aircraft Form-a-Gasket...and it was a good thing I did, since I had to take mine apart 2 more times.

The plates at the end of each shaft should be left loose when you re-assemble. They push on the race of a tapered bearing that when pushed in, tighten the bearing(s). One side is fixed, the other can be shimmed. Don't install shims until your ready for the final adjustment after it's all back together, leave the shafts (somewhat) loose. All parts can be freely rotated, high and low can be shifted. I used a little white lithium grease on my re-assembly, just to be sure there was some lube on startup.

Because there is no gasket, the cases may be slightly closer together than before and require maybe one less shim. I started on the input shaft and pushed the bearing race in with a screwdriver to snug, then put the cover on. It was a trial and error time, putting shims in (and removing). Here is the kicker for mine...the TC was new but had apparently never had bearings properly set, allowing movement and bad noise (would have self destructed). If I had known the problem to start, I could have done this in the vehicle. Live and learn.

Once you feel the difference in how the shaft you are working on turns, it will be obvious when it is getting too tight. Back down one thin shim. Then when you move to the next (intermediate shaft), you can "feel" it and tighten accordingly. You should have an extra shim or two from the case coming closer together, but it's possible you will have to make some. Move to the output shaft after the other two are set. Everything should turn freely by hand, snug but not tight and shift from low to high. Some gear backlash will be felt, which is easily identifiable from lose or over-tight bearings.

Re-assemble the front drive engagement (mine is different than yours).

I don't recall it taking any special tools.

Hope my description of my experience helps. Good luck.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good explanation, overall!

Only detail I must disagree with is requiring (maybe) less shims, after eliminating the center gasket...
For all three shafts, these shims go in between cover flange and housing, not under the bearing cup(s). So the gap between cover and housing will actually increase if housing halves come closer together.

If spare shims were not available - and instead of "making" additional ones - one can put the cover flange in a lathe (or mill) and remove some material where the cup comes to rest. (0.5mm should do)

For sealing both halves I recommend Loctite 518.

G.

tobyS

Good explanation, overall!

Only detail I must disagree with is requiring (maybe) less shims, after eliminating the center gasket...
For all three shafts, these shims go in between cover flange and housing, not under the bearing cup(s). So the gap between cover and housing will actually increase if housing halves come closer together.

If spare shims were not available - and instead of "making" additional ones - one can put the cover flange in a lathe (or mill) and remove some material where the cup comes to rest. (0.5mm should do)

For sealing both halves I recommend Loctite 518.

G.
It's been a long time. I forgot if the shim is on the bolt surface, making the bearing race go further out by adding them. Your explanation rings a bell... that the shims were on the bolt surface, thus adding them loosens the race (as does removing some materials). I stand corrected.

Thank you for the words of wisdom! Sounds like it is a feasible task, but doesnt sound very fun. Yes, I have access to heavy duty transmission jacks and lifts so that should help out a bit. Now all I got to do is muster up the motivation to do it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks