• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 use with Gin-Poles on sand?

Grant

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has any input on my idea for a M939. After spending a year in the ND oilfields i got to see how useful a truck can be with gin poles. My plan is to purchase a few trucks, outfit them with gin poles and install high flotation tires to do marine salvage work. I don't plan on lifting more than 2-3,000lbs on damp sand so i assume it will handle similar to a fully loaded 5 ton.

Has anyone driven a M393 on the sand? Anything to watch out for i can modify before going to "the beach"?

Thanks,
Grant

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both my 923 and 923a2 have been to at least Kuwait by the paperwork left in the cab. I can tell you the A2 tire pressure system certainly works for deep snow, so I imagine it's the same in sand. Gin pole? I'm guessing you mean tying a log to the tire/rim? Not very practical long term but enough to get you vehicle unstuck noting the Russian videos Ive seen

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Both my 923 and 923a2 have been to at least Kuwait by the paperwork left in the cab. I can tell you the A2 tire pressure system certainly works for deep snow, so I imagine it's the same in sand. Gin pole? I'm guessing you mean tying a log to the tire/rim? Not very practical long term but enough to get you vehicle unstuck noting the Russian videos Ive seen
He means a "pole truck" with a gin pole off the corners of the rear of the bed making a "A FRAME" and at least one winch behind the cab, this is a common oil field truck configuration

Grant

I should have known the term gin poles were not well known. I didn't even know until I did some research about them . My experience with a pole truck is in the oilfield likeRon mentioned. Here is a link to a picture that will explain what I would like to do.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/ron_grieve/2005/may18/scanwise64544.jpg

The idea is to take a regular or extra long cargo 5ton and modify the bed and or frame to accept poles . I will be doing a lot of picking up of 100-1000lm pieces and moving them around on dry to wet sand. Curious if anyone has any input.

Thanks

Last edited: