• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939A2 Air Compressor Head Gasket Issues

vvwilkins

Soliciting some input: Attached is a picture of my most recent air compressor head gasket failure. This is the second compressor head gasket failure I've experienced in the 4 years of owning my M923A2. The picture attached is the end result of 1.5 years of service of a brand new Haldex replacement head gasket. Picture attached of yet another new one. Seriously considering making my own air compressor head gasket from 0.032 copper. Any and all suggestions, comments past experiences welcome. I Really don't want to perform this task again. It kept the 5ton from attending the SS rally here in SoCal this year.

Attachments

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same issue with mine. I lost 2 gaskets within a year. The problem was a warped head so I lapped it until it was truely flat and haven't had an issue in 5 years. So it isn't the gasket's fault.

vvwilkins

I had the same issue with mine. I lost 2 gaskets within a year. The problem was a warped head so I lapped it until it was truely flat and haven't had an issue in 5 years. So it isn't the gasket's fault.
Thank You for sharing your experience. Curious - should the gaskets be installed "dry" or with a form of sealant? I typically use sealant - Permatex

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And, you do know that that gasket is not the head gasket, correct? It almost looks like there is no cooling going on. Was there coolant in the head when you took it apart? Is there coolant in the air tank? Are you going you pull the exhaust valve and replace/re o-ring it?

vvwilkins

And, you do know that that gasket is not the head gasket, correct? It almost looks like there is no cooling going on. Was there coolant in the head when you took it apart? Is there coolant in the air tank? Are you going you pull the exhaust valve and replace/re o-ring it?
I agree in that it appears as though there is no cooling occurring.
There was plenty of coolant coming out of the coolant lines when I dis-assembled the unit. No coolant observed in the wet tank or Air Dryer.
Performed a complete rebuild of the air compressor valving assembly. Verified flat-ness of the aluminum and iron "head components" on a granite surface plate.
I had to rebuild the Air Dryer too as it had become fouled with bits of the gasket and the purge value would not seal and operate properly. Replaced the turbo-saver and rebuilt the check valve of the Air Dryer after blowing out all the internal passage ways. Cleaned out the air-dryer coalescing filter as well.

Attached is a pic of the three rebuild kits one needs to perform a complete service of the Air Compressor and Air Dryer.

Truck now air's up as it should - just concerned about this occurring again.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks