• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939A2 fan clutch actuator OUTLET elbow question

Alexsha

So, like many, my fan cutch actuator leaks air. Enough so that when I shut the truck off, it airs down pretty quickly. This leaking also seems to cause the fan to run more than it needs to. And so, today I embarked upon a journey to fix the problem (hopefully).

I drained almost 5 gallons of coolant before I could remove the part in question. I disassembled it and checked the 3 o-rings. They seem fine. I cleaned the whole thing with WD40, dried, and lubed it up with silicone. After reassembly, it leaks just slightly. I'm guessing I'll have to take it apart again soon and replace the o-rings.

When I had the thing apart I noticed something odd about the elbow fitting on the outlet port. It was stuffed with copper wire. This let's barely any air through. I have attached a picture of the elbow. Is this normal?

IMG_20150201_165220.jpg

Alexsha

How much air is supposed to be able to pass through the filter? I pressed an air fitting up to it and tried to pump 60psi through it and barely got anything.

MtnSnow

Honestly not sure on the air if there should/would be zero air as mine will bubble soapy water.... But on way to help clean those sintered bronze filters is to soak them in vinegar (or carb cleaner etc) at least over night and then reverse pressure (opposite the normal flow) rinse.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks