• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939A2 Radio components

RedOctober

I recently sold my deuce and purchased a M939A2 with hard-top and cargo cover for 9K and the cab has a bunch of mounting hardware for a radio. I was wondering if any of you guys know what radio they stuck in these trucks and where to find all of the components. I am interested in making use of the hardware rather than just take it all out.

I recently sold my deuce and purchased a M939A2 with hard-top and cargo cover for 9K and the cab has a bunch of mounting hardware for a radio. I was wondering if any of you guys know what radio they stuck in these trucks and where to find all of the components. I am interested in making use of the hardware rather than just take it all out.
RedOctober,
Most likely was a Sincgars set up, but you can use a Vic1 System utilizing the same basic brackets, except the base and antenna base. Google Sincgars and you'll see pics of the system. I knew of one buddy that had that radio, but they are harder to find versus the Vic1/RT 524 systems. Much more money also. Complete Vic1 may cost you $600 or so. Good luck.

John

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reason I wanted some pics is to get an idea of how they had it set up in the cab. I'm planning on putting my 524/Vic 1 set up in my truck but the only 939 series I've seen with radios have them mounted on a bracket over the folded down passenger seat. I'd like to retain my seat capacity but still look like it was set up correctly while doing living history events.

Vic1/RT524 Base

RedOctober,
If you want to get an RT 524(Much cheaper than Sincgars), you will need a base labeled Mounting Base, MT-1029/VRC.
Just un-bolt the Sincgars Base and bolt the MT-1029 right on, uses the same mounting holes. The Antenna is labeled . The “sugar scoop and antenna are usually mounted on the front Pass fender on the M939 Series rigs, but I prefer putting it on the cargo bed facing towards the back of the truck. Less chance of it getting snagged on something.

John

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The SINCGARS radio mount for the 900 series 5 tons SUCKS. My guys would bolt the mount to the front face of the passenger seat. It was not CECOM approved, but it worked.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The SINCGARS radio mount for the 900 series 5 tons SUCKS. My guys would bolt the mount to the front face of the passenger seat. It was not CECOM approved, but it worked.
I'll take my MT-1029 and test fit it there. I'd be a lot happier with someone having to hang their legs over the radio than not having the extra seat space (not to mention the hassle of getting to the batts).

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll take my MT-1029 and test fit it there. I'd be a lot happier with someone having to hang their legs over the radio than not having the extra seat space (not to mention the hassle of getting to the batts).
The brackets fit from the dash across the seat and up the seat to the bracket on the back cab lip with the seat folded up. You can still have one or 2 (real small) sit on the seat.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The brackets fit from the dash across the seat and up the seat to the bracket on the back cab lip with the seat folded up. You can still have one or 2 (real small) sit on the seat.
Trying to get by without having to fold the seat down. Doesn't make for too comfortable a ride for the passengers.

The mount would always self destruct when drive cross country and on tank trails, no matter how tight the bolts were.
Maybe a couple of rubber blocks to support the back of the radio to the floor would keep too much flex from ripping it apart. My other concern would be enough air flow to keep the radio cool.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the truck had a SINGARS unit, then, therefore wouldn't it have had a VIC-2 rather than a VIC-1? The plastic speaker as well?
Nope. SINCGARS can be used with VIC-1, VIC-2, or VIC(VIS)-3 as well as a whole mess of different speakers. LS-671 and LS-454 are probably the most common.

Pic of Radio Mount

The reason I wanted some pics is to get an idea of how they had it set up in the cab. I'm planning on putting my 524/Vic 1 set up in my truck but the only 939 series I've seen with radios have them mounted on a bracket over the folded down passenger seat. I'd like to retain my seat capacity but still look like it was set up correctly while doing living history events.
Typical M939 Series radio mount setup.

JL

Attachments

Thanks John. Much better picture than the one I'd seen before. Now I just need to find one. One question though, do you have to undo the who shebang in order to check the batteries?
Mark,
Pretty sure you just take the radio out of the mount, and then remove the center part. Front brackets can stay, as well as, the top rear bracket.

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks