• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m939a2 starting problem in cold weather

tonyosman

Okay, okay... I know it's a diesel and the cold doesn't help... BUT is there any way to get this truck to start easier? I have a heat magnet that I stick on the oil pan abs unfortunately I have to spray it with the eather injection for it to start? Otherwise I would kill the batteries trying to start it! Any input? Maybe a screw in heating element in the block? The motor is like new only 4k miles truck was never put into service. It's a 1990.:tank::???:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Get a trickle charger and block heater. It should start every time. My A2 truck will start at single digits after a minute or so of cranking. It's not happy about it but it goes. The trucks with the older 250 motor need a bit of extra help at that low temp.

tonyosman

I have 2 semi truck batteries wired into a 24v circuit. and it has the 8.2l? Cummins I believe. I just didn't wanna keep killing the starter when I start it.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Do you have the ether bottle installed? It goes by the wiper fluid reservoir. You have to press the cold start button then crank. It's nice to have in case you need it but moderation is key with ether. Too much can do damage.

Skullmaster

I got my block heater right from cummins, starts just like its summer, just breath on the switch and its running. I only use the ether if I didnt have time to plug the truck in and I need it, which is very rare. I dont think those magnet block heaters do much, I left my truck plugged in for 8 hours one day and removed the radiator cap and it had built up pressure, but thats with a 1000w block heater

corvette9

I put block heaters in both my A2's. They both are pluged in 24 /7. I just touch the start switch and they both fire right up. All my civi diesels also stay pluged in. Best way I know to keep these big motors happy in the cold.

It's well below 0 here in Ct. today. I just started my 936A2 because I need it today.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the ether bottle installed? It goes by the wiper fluid reservoir. You have to press the cold start button then crank. It's nice to have in case you need it but moderation is key with ether. Too much can do damage.
The ether button should ONLY BE activated while the engine is cranking. Hitting it first and then cranking can over fill a single cylinder if the intake valve is open. This is because of the proximity of the ether. If spraying from a can into the intake mushroom then spray and then crank works fine.

Jeep Nasty

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?114718-block-heater&p=1490115#post1490115

I installed 1500 watt coolant heaters in all my truck. I find it easier than messing with freeze plugs. With wind chill it was -25 below this morning and my truck just fired up in less than 2 seconds. I've also put extension cord to the truck on a an outlet timer so its not running all day and night. I find The coolant heater works very fast and only needs 30 minutes in zero degree weather. Today I let it go for an hour with the extra wind chill.

tonyosman

Thank you everyone for quick replies. I'm tired of having to drag my salamander out and let it warm the engine up. I do have the ether bottle but they run $45 a bottle so that's a bit steep. I will have to try the heater pump! So you just install it in line with a heater tube I see? I want to do a freeze plug heater but I would rather not drain the anti freeze.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A bottle of ether is cheaper than any extras you might add on to assist with cold starting. A tank should last you a couple years.

Ideally, you should have both ether and a block heater.

If you can't afford $45, you're in the wrong game.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does your truck start within 1-2 seconds when the temp is above 40-50 or so? If not, you may be loosing prime, and when the fuel is colder, it is harder for the engine to re-prime itself.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Bear in mind the fuel shut off solinoid on on the engine can de-energize and cause a no fuel situation. Sometimes when you keep cranking on it it will re-energize and the truck will start....sometimes you have to manually reset it and either zip tie it oopen or have Soldier B crank the truck while you hold it open. Sometimes you can turn both switches on and hold it open and it will lock open. This was a recurring problem on the A2's and if you don't crank them every day it can happen.

74M35A2

Sounds correct, needs ether at these temps to cold fire. I don't think you have anything wrong.

Last edited:

Carlo

Bear in mind the fuel shut off solinoid on on the engine can de-energize and cause a no fuel situation. Sometimes when you keep cranking on it it will re-energize and the truck will start....sometimes you have to manually reset it and either zip tie it oopen or have Soldier B crank the truck while you hold it open. Sometimes you can turn both switches on and hold it open and it will lock open. This was a recurring problem on the A2's and if you don't crank them every day it can happen.
I've had this same problem. If there is a heavy draw from the starter the solenoid will flutter not letting it open 100%