• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939A2 Transmision Modulataor Valve Part Number

brasco

OK...I give up... I'm sure I'm just not entering the right key words in search field but I just can't seem to find the part number for the transmission modulator valve on a M923A2. Does anybody have the part number and a good source for one of these things.

Thanks,

Don

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be in a parts TM. TM 9-2320-272-24P-1

I don't know which part you are referring to so looking at the tm is you best option.

I found a modulator shift cable mechanism, and there is a lockup modulator valve.

Once you identify the item in the tm, google the part NSN or part number and look for the "parttarget" result. It will give you the OEM info.

A google search for "959538956589 parttarget"(just an example of how to search) would be the best way to find the info.

Last edited:

brasco

...so here is an update on my search.

I called an Allison approved service center and they said they could not find or get the part but they did say that they can have a custom unit made for about $175. I just need to tell them the length etc.

I also found a source on the interweb, Custom Control Cables, out of Houma, LA.

https://www.cccables.com/Controls/Modulator.aspx

Has anyone tried either of these approaches? I'll pull the modulator out this weekend and get a measurement on the cable.

brasco

...so here is an update on my search.

I called an Allison approved service center and they said they could not find or get the part but they did say that they can have a custom unit made for about $175. I just need to tell them the length etc.

I also found a source on the interweb, Custom Control Cables, out of Houma, LA.

https://www.cccables.com/Controls/Modulator.aspx

Has anyone tried either of these approaches? I'll pull the modulator out this weekend and get a measurement on the cable.
.... another update.

I did more research and contacted Custom Control Cables. They apparently supply Orscheln brand modulators just like the original. The new part number is 2230-54. I asked them how it compared the original part number, 2242-54, and they said:

"The difference between the 2242 and the 2230 has to do with a special sleeve seal that was installed. Things have changed over the years and now we use an even better seal so it's really a m​oot point. I'd consider them the same thing."

I bought one and installed it. It fit just just like the original but I have not run the truck because I have other maintenance still being performed on it. Cost was $131.88 plus shipping.

KaiserM109

OK...I give up... I'm sure I'm just not entering the right key words in search field but I just can't seem to find the part number for the transmission modulator valve on a M923A2. Does anybody have the part number and a good source for one of these things.

Thanks,

Don
I have a complete transmission pulled out of a 1984 M923A1 with a bad low gear. Perhaps I could pull out the part for you. The transmission failed, according to an Allison engineer, because the govt put 15W40 in it instead of ATF which does not perform at -20 degrees. The transmission had 16,000 miles when it was pulled out.

Let me know if you want to pursue it, pay it forward style.

brasco

OK...latest update on this project... I finally got the truck going with the new modulator cable (I had to wait to drive it beacuse I was also changing a dead fan clutch).

The new modulator absolutlely solved the hard shift problem I was having from 2nd down to 1st gear. I also think other shifts are more civilized. It was well worth the price for the new cable.

In summary, if you are having a hard downshift from 2nd to 1st and adjustments just aren't getting the job done you may want to try installing a new modulator 2230-54 from Custom Control Cables at https://www.cccables.com/Controls/Modulator.aspx

I really coud't find anything wrong with my old cable but the new cable solved whatever was wrong with it.

Last edited:

profo

OK...latest update on this project... I finally got the truck going with the new modulator cable (I had to wait to drive it beacuse I was also changing a dead fan clutch).

The new modulator absolutlely solved the hard shift problem I was having from 2nd down to 1st gear. I also think other shifts are more civilized. It was well worth the price for the new cable.

In summary, if you are having a hard downshift from 2nd to 1st and adjustments just aren't getting the job done you may want to try installing a new modulator 2230-54 from Custom Control Cables at https://www.cccables.com/Controls/Modulator.aspx

I really coud't find anything wrong with my old cable but the new cable solved whatever was wrong with it.

Darn they are right down the road from me I will pick one up and try it cause I tried the adjustment method and dex 3 and still downshifts hard.

Marty

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks