• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M942 year of manufacture?

m1st Choice

Hey guys, I recently bought a M942 5 ton 6x6 and need to start the process of titling it in my state. The issue I am having is that there is no known year for it. The Serial NO is legible and all in tact. I called AM General and they told me they couldn't help me as it is a military vehicle. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did you come up with that?
A0 truck on G177s. 1986 started A1 trucks with super singles and some other subtle differences.

Conceivably 1984, but unlikely. Almost certainly went through reset about 2007, so it may have an engine dated 2007 or so. But it'd be all but impossible to prove the frame wasn't manufactured in 1985.

It's worth looking at the date on the engine. If it says 1983 or 1984 then go with 1984. If it says 2007 presume it was replaced then, but that the truck was made earlier.

m1st Choice

A0 truck on G177s. 1986 started A1 trucks with super singles and some other subtle differences.

Conceivably 1984, but unlikely. Almost certainly went through reset about 2007, so it may have an engine dated 2007 or so. But it'd be all but impossible to prove the frame wasn't manufactured in 1985.

It's worth looking at the date on the engine. If it says 1983 or 1984 then go with 1984. If it says 2007 presume it was replaced then, but that the truck was made earlier.

Thank you for the insight! I didn't even think about looking for engine tags. Hopefully it has something to make this process less of a pain.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the insight! I didn't even think about looking for engine tags. Hopefully it has something to make this process less of a pain.
Dont get caught up in the newer is better thought, when looking for a date to title with. Usually older is better for license plates and insurance. Follow 98G age range, he knows his stuff, and you wont automatically void you insurance coverage if something bad where to happen.

m1st Choice

I finally got around to looking for for a date on the engine an it was replaced as they read 2009. I think I'll just go with 1985 and go from there. Thank you for the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks