• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M944 tent set up or .......

bchauvette

“The tent of 10,000 knots”

http://sdrv.ms/15d4QdJ

I may have the only M944 with a working shelter system. This tent system is horrific to erect. Notice all the hanging rope ends that are supposed to be tied??? The tent is black out compliant. That means all the opening are double tied inside and outside as well as numerous other tie down points. The back tarp assembly has to weight over 80 lbs. I used the built in trolley rail and home made block and tackle to lift the back panels and back tap. I invented my own pole system. I didn’t duplicate the original pole system, couldn’t afford it. With having to keep track of the inventory and dealing with this tent system I pity all who assigned to these vehicles.

I'm wondering why Most if not all the M944's don't come with the poles. It seams that most of the tents available don't have poles either.

Butch

AnonymousOne

Thanks for the pictures ... Looks great, but may be the pain exceeded the gain :)

If I could fit a 5 ton in my drive way... clam shell would be my choice ... nothing better than bring your tools with you where ever you go.

bchauvette

It seems the M944 design is Vietnam era and earlier. I have a friend with a picture of his father in Viet Nam (note correct spelling my wife is Vietnamese) standy by an equivilant M944. As a member of CERT I was uncomfortable with the tent set up as it disabled the truck for emergency use. I still don't understand the purpose of the tent. It makes a terrible work space. No ventilation/windows, hot/cold, dark. The extra space is not big enough for any appreciable size equipment to work on especially with the fold down work tables deployed. Definatly no space for a vehicle. Can't imagine welding in there. Can't imagine working in there while operating the on-board generator with that NHC250 screaming. the onboard lighting is no where near enough. Clearly the tent is WWII technology and amount of used was never investigated. An on board current technology sand alone tent would much better suite the needs. I posted more pics on how the back of the truck flips up, now that part is way cool.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks