• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M977 FOV maintenence

Bogibar

Stuart, I know what you mean about the threads on the ram. It looks like trouble. I was hoping to be able to change that with a rack or just holes and a pin. It would be a lot faster and wouldn't get fouled so easy.
Cost of the commercial version isn't fully decided upon yet. we are still doing testing on the saddles. I want to have something that will work against most surfaces (round, flat, pointed, angular) The jack for the HMMWV only had to attach to one point that was the same for all 4 sheels. If you go out to Bogertgroup.com you can see some of our other stuff.
Richard

Bogibar

Scott, I don't have a 977. I've just got to come up with a solution for what I think is the jack for the 977 and I have less than a week to do it in. I came on the forum to see if any of you had direct knowledge that could help me. If you know something about the jacks and pump that I have photos for, I would appreciate any info you have.
Richard

Stalwart

Richard, it's too bad you are so far away, I have a M977 in the garage you could test it on. :) For the HEMTT anyway, a concave saddle pad for the walking beam ends would be ideal, both front and rear.

I haven't found anything yet but I'll let you know.

Sounds like an awesome place to work, always coming up with new solutions. I'd love to work at a place like that, but alas, I'm stuck on the left side of the mountains.

Attachments

Bogibar

Stuart, Thank! We have a lot of fun. Lots of projects. I personally worked on 39 R&D projects last year. Not all done but at least half.

One of my staff found a 1979 patent on the jack concept. It looks like it is actually a double acting cylinder. It looks like the threaded part is actually the outside of the cylinder and the ram comes out the bottom and is attached to the base plate. Both hoses attach to the base and the oil passes through passages through the ram. ( Sure seems like there could be a simpler way.) I'm still not sure how the tube with the handle fits into this. It may just slide over the threaded tube and rest on the adjustable toe.
Richard

Stalwart

I'm sure with the size of the ram and seal friction, double acting would be required, adding a helper spring seems stupid, or perhaps not. Threading the ram only adds complexity and makes mfg. more expensive than necessairy.

"I'm still not sure how the tube with the handle fits into this. It may just slide over the threaded tube and rest on the adjustable toe. "

I thought that was the cylinder itself . . . and yes, it is part of the safety system. To a dummy like me anyway.

I used to work in aircraft part mfg., it was great while I was learning and challenged, but rotary swaging the same parts for days at a time finally got to me. If I'm not learing or at least challenged, I'm done.

Last edited:

Bogibar

Stuart, I'm right there with you. I get board quickly and need something new to do. During a tour of John Deere manufacturing, the guide who was a retired worker said that he made fuel injection lines for 18 years. I thought that would be ****.

It's been great visiting with you. Now I'm off for a haircut and a straight razor shave. It's my once a month treat.

Stalwart

I worked at University Swaging Corp. in Seattle, now a division of Primus or somethin in Woodinville.

As I understand it there are about 10 HEMTT's in private hands. I usually see one per year come up for sale. Typically for a nice one, the price is north of $70K. I'm told by a military vehicle appraiser and the members here, mine is the best one out there, but to be honest, it's the only one I've seen in person.

Last edited:

Stalwart

All hobbies can be expensive when you go above a certain level of insanity. I turned my back on aviation when I left Embry-Riddle, OK I kept up my helicopter license for a while but decided other persuits were better for me. I played with cars, offshore boat and a few other things but this hobby my wife and I both enjoy. Yes, the Scorpion tank is mine and my wife owns a couple pieces of British wheeled armor.

Here's some of the current and a few past toys, the movies at the bottom of the page are my Scorpion tank at the Arlington Airshow just north of Everett:
MobileMe Gallery

Stalwart

That is CUTE! I really like aircraft but it would just suck me in and bleed me dry. A few years back I found a flying Huey and I could afford it, my wife wisely said no, even though she wants one in the worst way. I think she's just holding out for an NSU Kettenkrad and with a helicopter she has no hope of EVER getting one.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All hobbies can be expensive when you go above a certain level of insanity. I turned my back on aviation when I left Embry-Riddle, OK I kept up my helicopter license for a while but decided other persuits were better for me. I played with cars, offshore boat and a few other things but this hobby my wife and I both enjoy. Yes, the Scorpion tank is mine and my wife owns a couple pieces of British wheeled armor.

Here's some of the current and a few past toys, the movies at the bottom of the page are my Scorpion tank at the Arlington Airshow just north of Everett:
MobileMe Gallery
Mobile me gallery doesn't work.....Needs sign in ect.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks