• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M977 HEMTT Acquisition

Stalwart

Backing up is simple, lock the steering bar and push the trailer where you want it. If you want to try steering backward you will probably be limited to movements of about 10-15 feet if you are good/lucky.

Stalwart

Nope, it still pivots at the lunette, it is only by much greater mass and leverage that the truck just pushes the front trailer tires sideways. It's best to just avoid backing if at all possible.

RDUKW

What do you call a sharp un-comanded turn at 60 mph in a forwarded controlled vehicle . . . death. What do you call 2 M977's or M985's involved in a rear ender with each other, kiss the crane with your face, then meet your maker.
Not sure about 60 since they top out at 54 aua. The HEMTT is definitely a better vehicle going down the road but in town or tight areas the mk48 will turn inside the HEMTT

Stalwart

Not sure about 60 since they top out at 54 aua. The HEMTT is definitely a better vehicle going down the road but in town or tight areas the mk48 will turn inside the HEMTT
I was just passing along the word from an eyewitness in the sandbox, he was driving the truck following and witnessed the carnage. He claimed it was typical to raise the governor or disable it entirely. No doubt the Mk48 would be better truck for maneuvering but I wouldn't let my wife run down the highway in one. I have spoken to several soldiers that like the truck as a whole but all said the truck was sometimes unpredictable and dangerous in inexperienced hands.

HASSON1911

Alright guys I know its been a while since my last post due to school and work but this weekend it was sub 20's and the old girl fired right up within 2sec. which is impressive considering its still number 2 fuel. Anyways after a warm up we went for a 15mi drive to my shop where this weekend ill be fabbing up and AR500 armored grill such as the one posted. no pictures today but will post some before she leaves the shop. One of the other reasons for this post is for guys who own or have driven these trucks, have you or did you in anyway modify the throttle pedal or where your foot rest, for me it feels like my foot is at an uncomfortable 60* angle so im working on ways I can modify where my foot rest to make it more ergonomic for longer drives.

Attachments

Tornadogt

When you make the armor are you going to do it by hand or put it on a plasma table?? Either way PLEASE take down your measurements... We all would love to see the results. Thank you.

HASSON1911

When you make the armor are you going to do it by hand or put it on a plasma table?? Either way PLEASE take down your measurements... We all would love to see the results. Thank you.
By hand with a plasma cutter I wish I had a plasma cam used one in high school and it was awesome, I'm using 3/8 ar500 4x8 (weighing in at roughly 500lbs.) which is coincidentally the exact size of the hemtt shield.

HASSON1911

So this weekend I was able to cut the steel and get most of it mounted, next weekend ill be doing some cardboard R&D and working on the fins. I got to say to all that will be doing this just realize the sheet it self weighs in at 500 all said and done it'll be closer to 550 to 600. Ill get fin dimensions once the fins are completed.

Attachments

Last edited:

HASSON1911

For headlights Im thinking of getting 3 rigid industry lights, a hi in spot light pattern, low in fog pattern, and an amber turn signal. Ill have to fab up a protective box for them and will post pictures later. Any other options feel free to run buy me.

Stalwart

New Truck-Lite LED headlights . . . low power drain, excellent focusing and high output. I have the older ones and I LOVE them!

JDToumanian

There was some discussion earlier in this thread about canister engine oil filters vs. spin on... The vast majority of (if not all) 2-cycle Detroit Diesels, all series, had canister filters and so far as I know, there are NO military Detroit Diesel engines with factory spin on filters. The military spin on filters are an adapter kit that was made available, there is a PS Magazine article about it. I ordered a spin on adapter kit for my HEMTT, the advantage for me is not so much convenience as that there are better filter choices available with a spin on... Larger capacity, lower micron rating, more surface area, etc.

Here's some pics of the kit I ordered, it was about $75 from Diesel Pro Power. Note that there are cheaper adapters out there, on eBay and elsewhere, but they are not as well made. Most of them, including one made by Fram, appear to be die-cast pot metal that isn't even machined, as opposed to Diesel Pro Power's which is a machined aluminum sand casting. You don't want this part failing... Buyer beware!

Jon

View attachment 598392

Attachments

Last edited:

RDUKW

There was some discussion earlier in this thread about canister engine oil filters vs. spin on... The vast majority of (if not all) 2-cycle Detroit Diesels, all series, had canister filters and so far as I know, there are NO military Detroit Diesel engines with factory spin on filters. The military spin on filters are an adapter kit that was made available, there is a PS Magazine article about it. I ordered a spin on conversion kit for my HEMTT, the advantage for me is not so much convenience as that there are better filter choices available with a spin on... Larger capacity, lower micron rating, more surface area, etc.

Here's some pics of the conversion kit I ordered, it was about $75 from Diesel Pro Power. Note that there are cheaper adapters out there, on eBay and elsewhere, but they are not as well made. Most of them, including one made by Fram, appear to be die-cast pot metal that isn't even machined, as opposed to Diesel Pro Power's which is a machined aluminum sand casting. You don't want this part failing... Buyer beware!

Jon

View attachment 598392

All three of my military 8v92's (lvs, Hemtt and spare) have spin on's from the military

JDToumanian

All three of my military 8v92's (lvs, Hemtt and spare) have spin on's from the military
Yes, I figured there could be a lot of them out there... I'm bringing both types of filters and the adapter kit so I am prepared either way, since I'm going to service my HEMTT on the side of the road. The spin-ons on your engines should be adapters, there are none factory that I am aware of... Even a DDEC engine I was looking at from a HET still had the canisters. The newer TMs show the canister but mention the possibility of an adapter kit having been installed.

Jon

HASSON1911

Well, I understand why builds take so long, a simple task can easily eat your whole day up. I have almost all the steel work done I just need to finish the fins and mount them next, school is a real bother when trying to work on the toys haha. I did do some redesigning to try keep the approach angle and also cut the top a little different to keep length down. it saved maybe 8-10in. and yes the shed its going in is really cutting it that close, but its better than sleeping out side right!

All measurements are being taken down and will release in one post when finished.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks