• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M977 Radiator- Please

Bowmanvolfire

Hello Forum:

We were just given the bad news that the radiator on our M977 is bad. The radiator shop wants to fabricate a new core. Does anyone have ANY suggestion on leads for a replacement radiator, thoughts on the fabrication of a new core, or repair.

Any help is appreciated for this little VFD.

John
Chief, Bowman VFD

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would call every surplus dealer in the US before considering the expense of a fabricated core. Find the NSN and call everyone. Memphis Equip, Eastern Surplus, SECO Augusta, MTP Drivetrain, Sam Winer Motors, Napco, many more.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3k cost mine has small leak also but no way I am I paying 3k
I would start looking for a tractor radiator out a civi unit.

Bowmanvolfire

Thank you to NDT and Coffey1 for your responses. The radiator shop wants 2500-3000 to build a new core. We found a new one for 2375. What sort of tractor option are you thinking Coffey1?
Appreciate any further responses and suggestions.

John
Chief, BCVFD

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Call Ranchers Supply in Lamar, Co and see if they have any parts trucks. I know they have some junky looking HEMTTs there.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can also try 4 Season Radiator in Gallaway TN 877-385-1900 They do a lot of freightliner stuff. Doesn't hurt to blow some phones up for that cost.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You would think an old cab over 70s semi would be close to it.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Bowmanvolfire

Simp5782 thanks for your reply and input. I have a call into Rancher's Supply and they are going to look around. One of my firemen is a mechanic for Freightliner and he sure didn't act like they would have anything...

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At 3 k I would get as close as possible and mod fit it.
That's almost half of original cost of truck.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Naw. This company builds freightliner radiators so them making one with a large core may be something they already have and dont have to make. Mem Equipment wont have it i know for sure. If they do it is worth more than the truck. I will look around here for a source

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have access to some. PM me a phone number and I'll see if it will work. All I know is its for a hmmwv, I know nothing about the different model numbers.

gimpyrobb

I have access to some. PM me a phone number and I'll see if it will work. All I know is its for a hmmwv, I know nothing about the different model numbers.

Should have known better, not a hmmwv. Derrr

Don't mind me, i can count to potato.

JDToumanian

NOS for $2375? I'd call around for sure, but that isn't bad... especially if it was within range of in-person pickup instead of shipping, I'd jump on it.

Jon

jjb

I had mine repaired by a shop that does locomotive and big truck radiators. They had it for almost a month and charged me over $700. I thought that was too much at the time but it sure beats $2k+.

Bowmanvolfire

Thanks to everyone for their replies. The radiator shop that has our radiator now said the total will be $4K out the door and they said there can be no repair has to be a core. For a small VFD this is a break it price. The NSN we have is 2930011320978.

Again, we appreciate the help for sure.

John
BCVFD

gimpyrobb

Look up the nsn in the manual, if you have it in pdf on a pc it is easy to do. Contact someone that is familiar in gov surplus to fire depts. You should be able to get one from Uncle Sam.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks