• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M978 Shimmy above 45mph

matt2491

Anyone know how to adjust HEMTT front wheels / steering alignment? I have a side-to-side shimmy when out on the highway and I think it's because the two sets of front wheels aren't aligned very well. When the truck is parked straight you can visibly see the wheels not quite pointed in the same direction. So I suspect they are fighting each other when up to speed?

By the way, I put a half gallon of antifreeze in each of the 4 front tires and it noticeably helped smooth out the up-and-down bounce above like 30mph. Actually kinda surprised it worked. But now the shimmy is more obvious, so I'd like to try to address it.

I made sure the tires are all set to the same pressure (60psi - contact patch seems good).

F91A0018.jpg

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can adjust the toe on it. You must remove it from the knuckle and turn it in then put it back in the knuckle.

The walking beam itself can be adjusted using the single bolt thru under the axle. There Is a camber adjustment on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks