• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M983 recovery

toudi

Hi guys

I was just notified that my clearance for M983 went through and I'm given 8 business days to pick it up from Fort Bragg, NC. I've looked up some hauling companies, but their estimates are way above my budget, so I've decided to drive it to CA by myself. The problem is that I do not have the driver license category B, I have signed up to pass it in DMV but I need six to seven weeks to do it, so basically I'm out of time. For this reason I'm looking for a driver that can drive this tractor with me. The question is: dosed anyone know a truck repair shop in the region of Fort Bragg, NC where I can deliver the tractor for the inspection and basic tune-up (fluids, brakes, etc. ) before I go to CA?

Thank you for response.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Without sounding judgemental I have to ask if you thought about shipping before you bought the beast.

I drove HEMMT cargos and tankers in Korea and I would not wish a drive to California in one on my worst enemy, especially a bob tailed tractor.

There are stretches of road between here and there that will beat your teeth out in an air ride commercial truck.

The only redeeming quality is that you can run 65 MPH easy if you can hold it in the road.

The down side of that is what you will spend in fuel. That two stroke Driptroit will suck the bottom out of the fuel tank at highway speed. And you are sitting right in front of that 500HP screaming engine ahead of the front axles. Five miles per gallon is a wet dream. I estimate 600 gallons of fuel if you get 5 mpg. The farther west you go the more expensive fuel gets.

Then there is food, motels and misc expenses. You are not going to camp out in that truck after driving it for 12 or more hours. Again, trust me on this. There is no way to sleep in that cab that won't cause major medical problems. You will be praying for that Motel Six sign to appear so you can take a shower, lay down in a soft bed and get the sound of that screaming engine out of your head.

And while we are on the subject of a smoke belching, two stroke diesel engine are you even going to be able to operate it out there? I hear a lot of rumors about what you guys are up against with CARB. Not trying to pick a fight.....just asking.

My guess is that is has no AC so when you are traveling in the sunny south you are going to be in a state of unbelievable discomfort this time of year. There is no way to get a breeze in that cab, trust me on this one, been there, done that, still got the sweat stained BDU's I wore in Korea.

The vehicle weighs 32,000 pounds so if you break down you are looking at one ell of a wrecker bill (depending on how far out in the boondocks you are). Then you are at the mercy of a repair shop that may or may not be able to work on it. It is getting harder and harder to find old school Detroit diesel mechanics. If it can't be repaired quickly or affordablely then you still have to ship it home. These vehicles are a nightmare of hoses, wiring and proprietary parts that you can't get at NAPA or the local parts house. Oshkosh will not take your calls.

How long do you think it will take to drive 2578 miles (according to mapquest) in that vehicle?
We convoyed from Fort Benning Georgia to Fort Irwin, California in M915's and it took 5 days of hard driving and we had several vehicles die on the way out there. We were carrying spares but by the time we got there we only had one bobtail left that was mission capable.

If you manage to stay in it for 500 miles a day that is still 5 days of hard driving if you have no problems. That's at least 12-14 hours of driving a day in a profoundly uncomfortable vehicle. These were tactical vehicles, not road tractors. They are not user friendly.

They only carry 155 gallons of fuel and if you get 5 MPG you will have to fuel up every 300 miles. You do not want to run a Detroit out of fuel, I say again.....trust me on this. They are very hard to reprime, especially on the side of the road in the dark.

My advice is to take out a loan and have it shipped or sell it in place.

bigbe5678

Wow what a write up Thanks for taking the time and concern Before I do any trip Im PM you Hope that fella takes your advice Thanks again Mike

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm envious of your M983. Is this that nice pristine tan one? Everything works but the oil pressure gauge?

On the other hand, a recovery across the entire US would give me pause, and I'm borderline nuts.

I have to wonder if you couldn't have grabbed an equivalent truck out of TX and had a much cheaper and shorter recovery.

As I understand it, this will be your first time operating a US military vehicle, which leads me to the following thought - "do everything to extremes, moderation is for monks. Take big bites"

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm envious of your M983. Is this that nice pristine tan one? Everything works but the oil pressure gauge?
It appears to be this one. My assumption is it is one of two Patriot Prime Movers that were on the lot when I stopped by and was recovering the other week. Advantage of these PPMs was the readiness state they were in. You know these didn't sit around and rot in a motorpool.

toudi

Thanks Wreckerman983

600 gallon it is still cheaper, 1/4 then hauling (even with food and hotels) ,or maybe I been looking wrong hauliers .
Comfort ?- I'm now that its not Dodge Ram or Ford F ,been driving Man Kat and Tatra 8X8 in Europe ,and I'm now that they are not speed demons

toudi

Thanks 98G
Yes ,the only thing that scare me is to broke down during the trip.
There will be always better truck closest to my location , but never when you looking to buy . I'm do not gonna look back, I'm hope that I will like my one.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For what it's worth, that's the best hemtt I've seen up for auction.

Plan for 4 mpg and pace it for 400 miles per day and you should be fine. Consider it as recreation and stop driving before it becomes a chore. Don't drive tired.

That cab forward position is going to take some getting used to. Take your time and plan for a learning curve.

Shark Bait

I've got two Detroit's in MV's. They like fuel. If you're going to do this I would plan out my route, avoid high traffic volume areas at rush hour. Get you a list together of every Detroit/Allison dealer/service center with addresses, phone numbers and hours of operation along the way. Have a chase vehicle. Tools, oil (40w), antifreeze, lube for diff's and so on. My MK cab is near twin to yours and like said, they are not built for comfort. Sitting in front of those two axles with a light bobtail will bounce and beat you to pieces. That seat you will not like by the end of trip. You will however get to know your vehicle. Hopefully by the end of your trip all is well and safe and you still like your truck. Enjoy and get us lots of pictures. Did I mention they really like fuel?

Dave

agazza2

PM sent. I recommend doing this in sections of the trip where you take time after driving a few states, and then take time to do preventative maintenance along the way. Take time to get names and numbers of SS members along the way that can assist you along the way. I Can help out with tools, welder, fluids, or to run to a parts store along the I -10 from South of Phoenix to California border. Also get contacts of people with large enough trucks and tow bars to help you along the way. It is cheaper to pay for their Diesel than to pay a wrecker. Also have coordinated places along the way that you can store your vehicle if you need to be towed off the road and a place to park it while you work on it. I can arrange a place here in Phoenix if necessary.

I have a class A, and would be willing to help drive it from Texas to California.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of very good advice but the original question is whether anyone knows of a place to PM/store the beast for a little while.

toudi

Thank you agazza2 for learning permit tip,right now I need to figure out what is the different between class B commercial / B non commercial

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a long ride no doubt. If 73m819 has not said "I will drive it", I have to think it might be better to ship it. But I have done a few rough road trips myself. Good luck.

Side note, you may want to go north of MS and LA to avoid a severe road beating....

lindsey97

If you plan your route thru Oklahoma, I have a class 8 truck/trailer that will haul you if you break down. Also have a place to park it if something bad happens, and know a few truck mechanics. I also have a class A cdl and medical card.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you are bound and determined to drive it back to CA I would try to find some weight to put on that 5th wheel. You can get into deep doo doo on a wet road in that vehicle with a light rear end. The HEMMT cargo trucks were bad to hydroplane when empty on a real wet road.
They also skate like a pig on ice when you slam on the brakes on hot pavement. Ask me (and the Korean Bongo truck driver that slammed on the brakes in front of me) how I know.
I'm thinking they have a 3.5 inch king pin but I could be wrong.
Best case scenario you could find a military trailer to haul part of the way back. You need at least 20K to keep those tandems from leaving the ground at every expansion joint you hit.
Better yet swing by and pick up this Marine Corps ISO 20 foot bed I have for sale. We'll attach it over the 5th wheel and you can load it with something to mash those heavy duty springs down with. :)
A load will increase fuel mileage but will make the ride a lot more comfortable.
Years ago I was an over the road trucker and ran Mississippi to California every week.
If it were me from Bragg I would run I-95 south to I-20 west to Birmingham and over to Memphis and pick up I-40 and run it west rather than the southern routes. It will be somewhat cooler and the weather tends to be drier up north this time of year.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks