• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M985 Recovery and Restoration

paradeduty

Hey Bob -

Ya - the Prototype is kind of out to the side in the pictures. Hate to admit it, but I kind of had to park the girls where they found a spot for a little bit. In theory, there is enough space in the barn for them and the trailers. But I had to temporarily store some other "precious junk" (that could not take any weather) in the barn over the winter until I could put up the storage racking and "repack" the barn. Sadly, it came down to the fact that I hadn't really started any cosmetic restorations on the trucks, and one more season outside for these trucks that have been outside for 20-30 years already is not going to end the world. Trust me, I think about it every day. The prototype is pretty cool. It is the next one that is going to make it to the truck shop for some mechanical "putting back together". I have had conversations with the shop owner about the "plan of attack" on her, and he seems to have a really good grasp on finishing my "tinkering" while keeping it "realistic". With work, I think I better let the professionals take it from here if she is ever going to get done for the TACOM show (the clock seems to be spinning pretty fast!). Thank goodness she is a good runner already. Dave.

paradeduty

By the way - I'm pretty busy with the construction season here in Michigan, but if anyone is going to be in the area and wants the "dime tour", just drop me a message via PM or e-mail and I would be more than happy to try and set up a time. Dave.

Ord22

Paraduty
i've seen the marine hemtt on GL. I don't know nothing about them. they look pretty cool! I'll keep looking. thanks

Last edited:

paradeduty

Hey Ord22 -

Yes, the LVS is very interesting and from what I've been told it is very capable off road for its size. But I have also heard that they can get very squirley at higher speeds on the road and also can tend to want to "roll over" on the downhill, both due to the partially articulated steering. This might be one of the reasons that the Military is going a more conventional route with the new LVSR replacements for these. Some of the ones coming out look to be newly refurbished or with low miles, so these may not be as much of an issue - but if you are looking at one that is showing a little more wear, I have heard that some of the more exotic hydraulic parts on these can get pretty pricey and hard to find. But the cool factor is way up there on the chart! Dave.

paradeduty

Well, actually got to put the crane on the back of the M985 Cargo through its paces today. Had to patiently wait way too long on a job today for an Electrical Inspector to show up (kind of felt bad for him - as it turns out, they had way, way too many stops on his schedule for today) to get a final electrical inspection on a retail store I have been remodeling. My morning inspection turned into a 1:30 pm inspection - but all passed with glowing reviews, so I and the General Contractor were happy in the end. But the afternoon was flying by and I still had to hot foot it back home as Brian from B & R Trucking was due at my place about 3 - 4:00 pm to deliver a spare engine for the PLS that I got off GL. Thing weighs close to 5K lbs in its container, so my little backhoe w/ its forks was not going to be able to handle it. Was hoping that the crane on the back of the M985 was up to it - the mechanics at the truck shop said that it operated fine, but you know how it is until you see it for yourself........! Was hoping for that morning inspection so I would have time to play with it just in case there was some type of problem. Worst case, I could use the crane on the PLS - but that one is in the middle of the truck and not as easy for a novice crane operator! Run home - fire up truck and park where it looks like it will work. OH GREAT - all of the markings/labels on the handles of the hydraulic levers are completely faded away!! Time for some trial and error - nope, try the next one - nope, try the next one (repeat for what seems like 20 rounds - even though there is only 8 levers!!). Brian gets here right at 3:30 like he said (great guy and very fair prices) and as per the pictures, the rest is history! The last two are kind of fuzzy 'cuz right as Brian was pulling out of the other end of the driveway loop it started pouring rain. I know - I'm a whimp - but the last two were taken from inside the house, through the window, with the telephoto all the way out. Wa Hoo - the crane handled great. Dave.

Attachments

paradeduty

You are absolutely correct, Derrick! Havn't found one - there was one on ebay years ago - but I didn't have the truck then - isn't that just the way it goes!! Let me know if you run across one if you wouldn't mind. Do you still have your wrecker? Are you planning on bringing one of your trucks to the Warren Show this summer? Dave.

Ord22

I bet it was fun to use your crane lifting your engine. whats wrong with the PLS engine? is the engine you have in good shape? Have fun.

paradeduty

Hey Ord22,

Yup - the PLS engine is fine - only supposed to have 8K on it if the guage is correct. It was a mechanics school truck so it wouldn't have gotten many miles - so I have no reason to question the milleage counter.

The engine came up at a good price for a fresh rebuilt unit. Most of the ones coming out now are "take outs" I think - so who knows. Most are probably fine, but a few more dollars buys a bit of insurance (but no guarantees!). This engine is one of the later electronic versions of the Detroit 8V92TA, which they used in the PLS. The HEMTT's used the standard "mechanical" version as far as I know.

Stalwart

Dave, if you run across another I'd be interested, I thought about the Std. 8v92's that were just auctioned, and 2-3 looked unused, but they are still an unknown condition. I'm looking for, preferably, a TA, either new or rebuilt. I'd probably have it turned up a bit before installation. After shipping and other costs those ones on GL would have cost me $4-5000 and still they would be a gamble if they were good or not. Perhaps I'm just a cheap b@$tard. :)

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ones on my? :mrgreen: M984E1 wrecker are getting replaced? cool I think.
I am sorry im late 1 set back after another here, 1 more now I will call soon.
I might see what he would charge to del it here.

dmetalmiki

What an awsome collection. As a thought, what driving licence do you need for one of those? they are not historic are they?. I am thinking the truck I would so much like to own is the fire engine variant of that truck. But I have never seen one for sale anywhere. Even the P.6.s havent appeared when they were relinquished over here.

paradeduty

Hey Guys!

BradBMI - Not sure of a remote right now, but I will keep you in mind. Tell you the truth, the tougher part of the "package" is the remote cable not necessarily the remote!

Ambrose & Wildboy - Going OK. Just trying to catch up on work as I was out of commission for about 2 weeks with a nasty cold that wouldn't leave me alone. Working outside in 8 degree weather is a challenge so I am trying to be choosy about what is necessary to get done for folks - not worth finger tips as I have yet to be able to work with electrical wires with gloves on! I know that you are catching up, too, Wildboy, so give me a shout when you can.

dmetalmiki - Thanks, I always liked the Oshkosh HEMTT and its variants even before they were available at all. I do have them registered as "Historic Vehicles" and so, at least here in Michigan, I do not need any special license for personal use (at least for now - laws can always change). I have "dreweled" over the firetruck variant, but have never seen one in person. I can only imagine what one would go for as there is a very real use for them outside of the military. I have a use for the cranes and winches on the trucks from time to time, but I hope I would never have a use for the fire apparatus on one!

Dave

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks