• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M988 alternator issue

M988Tarvin

I have a sielman alternator 28v 60amp. I was told it was different than The prestolite alternator and The parts I need are not interchangeable??? The bearings went out in mine. Had it fixed then installed it. I put silicone on the hook up block. All was good and charging properly. I think the silicone wasn't cured all the way because it burnt the three wires that go to the stator in two. I can change it over to a delco style but i rlly want to keep it orginal. But the cheapest OEM one I found was $480 and that's a lot to me. Any help on parts or a new alternator for a good price will be much appreciated. Or should I just go with a delco style. This is my 1st post, sorry it was so long . Thanks

papakb

Sielman SA is a company located in Volos, Greece that manufactures all types of defense equipment. They are a major European defense contractor to both the US and NATO forces. That alternator is just a duplicate of the Leece-Neville 60 amp AMA1501 unit so repair parts will be available from Southern Automotive here: http://southernautomotive.com/catalog/index.php/ Yours was probably a vehicle that came back from the sandbox.

Jayo

I hope you dont mind me asking a stupid question - but how did the silicone do that much damage (or any at all)

I just replaced a faulty 60A generator with a brand new one on my Truck at the weekend and I sealed up the hookup box with LOCTITE SI 5990 which is a high temp silicone sealant.

Now Im wondering if all my wiring is going to melt!!!!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The thick white stuff oe is I believe Dow 738 electrical sealant.

The loctite 5990 is not a US product so I am not familiar with it but the spec sheet says "Electrical Insulating applications". It does not give more info in that regards. The fact that the catalog shows it primarily for engine gasket automotive replacement makes me Leary of its use. Most US based gasket automotive silicones are different than electrical application sealer.
YMMV

M988Tarvin

Well I used red RTV on it. I gave it a whole day to cure. I also forgot to hook up the hose on the fan, so it sprayed fluid all over the place. So when I smelled something burning I just thought it was the fluid burning off the motor. I read that wet silicone can conduct electricity. And on a 24v system when things go bad they fry stuff.

M988Tarvin

Up date put on a delco style from ebay. 130$ for it and the pulley. Btw the old pulley will not fit. made a couple brackets, some all thread. welded on a L shaped bracket to the top bracket, and all is good to go. Thanks for all tells imput

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks